Twenty eight

Caspiry

I quickly swolled my anti-depressant and pain killers when I heard footsteps sneak come down the stairs. I turned back to the pan that was cooking on the stove but not too fast or the scar on my stomach would sting and not too slowly to make Xander worry about me.

He was currently brushing Jaime's little blonde locks at the breakfast table. She was sitting on the breakfast table in front of him swinging her legs back and forth in complete bliss, completely unaware of every bad thing that's happened in the past few months. He was slowly but surely getting her ready for the day we had ahead of us, it wasn't too hectic but we did have to go to the lawyer today about God knows what. I honestly didn't want to know anything about the trial beyond Streud being put away.

I lost my child, she's gone and the woman who took her from me was being punished for what she did and that's all I need to know.

I saw Wilan peak into the kitchen, I should let him come in by himself right? So that he can come in when he's more comfortabl-

"Morning Wil! How'd ya sleep?" my husband basically screamed at the poor frightened boy. I didn't know his skin, which honestly could make a tall glass of milk jealous, could get any paler.

"It was kinda hella amazing, surprised I woke up actually" he mumbled pulling the sleeves of my pj's over the palms of his hands and balling them into a fist. He pulled down on the sleeve with the one hand and bit on his nails on the other hand. He was nervous, maybe embarrassed, probably scared.

I would be.

"Well sit, don't be shy" Xan smiled pulling out the chair next to him. He dragged his feet with shoulders hunched all the way to Xan. Jaime waved at him and he waved back and kept his hand out to high-five her. Kids are adorable. So much that I almost burnt the pancakes on the stove.

But when he taught her how to fist bump and she grabbed his fist I forgot all about the chocolate sauce I was making. I could get used to this sight. My husband, daughter and Wilan. I could get used to getting a table for three, like I was going to before Streud.

Some part of me knew I was trying to replace Fiona with Wilan and I can't but- whatever this is, whatever it is I'm doing may help me and help him in the end. This couldn't possibly end horribly but every time I say that something terribly horrible happens. Perhaps this time it will be different.

"Can I help with breakfast?" Wilan asked looking nervous.

"No, no. Please sit, don't fret. Besides, I don't like it when people work in my kitchen" I said quickly running from the stove to the fridge to get the milk and all the juices. Yes all because God knows how picky my daughter is when it comes to juices.

She'll ask for orange, take a sip and pull her face. She'll then do the same with mango, tropical, grape and berry only to settle for apple but if we don't go through this very tiring exchange she'll throw a fit and we'll have a very emotional day from there.

"So, how do you like your eggs Wilan?" I said brightly rushing around to arrange everything that was done on plates. Scrambled eggs with tomato sauce for Jaime with half a slice of french toast and chocolate chip dinosaur shaped pancakes on the side, honestly those are for Xan but it make's him feel better about how much he eats if he eats it off someone else's plate. Wilan shrugged, "cooked is good."

I wanted to laugh but he was dead serious. He simply wanted his eggs cooked.

I quickly handed Jaime's plate over to Xan who had moved her to the high-chair next to him and had started with the mango juice part of breakfast.

I then arranged three smiley-face breakfasts, you might wonder why I didn't do the smiley-face thing for my daughter but that's because she's a grown woman according to her and should be treated that way. Meanwhile my husband and I are still small children who like our breakfast to smile at us.

When I placed the plate down in front of Wilan, he mimicked the expression of the plate. Big eyes and a wide smile.

I felt like I could see him gaining weight with every bite he took, I then realised what a massive deal this was to him. Yes I understood before what a giant responsibility this was but above that I realised this was more than helping him survive, this was letting him live.

"Xan, when you go to the lawyers today could you drop us at the mall so we can shop for stuff like clothes, toiletries and other fun stuff?" I asked when we were done with breakfast. My husband wandered around the kitchen cutely with plates in his hands trying to look productive. Our agreement is I cook, he cleans up after but secretly we both know that I'm the one who cleans after his cleaning makes an even bigger mess.

Wilan went to get ready for the day, we gave him some of my clothes that fit just a bit too snug for him to wear today. Our little ray of sunshine was watching TV and Xan and I were cleaning up. It felt like we were a perfect little family, I wanted to keep it this way.

"Anything you want my angel" he replied sweetly, handing me the plates with a pleading look. I took them and rolled my eyes, "get out of my kitchen."

"Can I get a job?" Wilan asked running a hand through his freshly cut hair, making it look beyond messy. It suited him though, this short hair thing. It kind of made him look like a boy from one of those anime things my friends cry over. He looked like a boy but... a pretty one. Kinda like a guy in a Kpop group that is prettier than any girl will ever be.

"Sure, but what for?" I asked walking to the counter to pay for this cut, which honestly I didn't understand. They're cutting your hair and keeping it only to throw it away and you need to pay them for taking something from you? Baffling to say the least.

"For in case" he shrugged.

I would ask but I know he means just in case we abandon him.

"I can give you an allowance? You know, since you're kinda still underage" I suggested. He pulled his face, "no thanks, I'm already taking enough from you guys."

I felt bad, "well, we can ask the neighbours if they need any help? Maybe you can clean their pools or mow their lawns on weekends?"

His face lit up but he tried to hide it from me, "that sounds okay, I guess. I actually have a deal like that once a month at this old ladies place."

"Oh, where and when and for how long do you work? What do you do there? We can drop you off-"

"No, it's fine. Really. I'll find my way there. Just cause I'll be living a life of luxury for a while doesn't mean my legs don't work. I can get alone just fine, thanks though."

"But that's dangerous, you could get kidnapped-"

"Haven't been yet though" he shrugged, "besides, even in that industry, street kids don't have that much value."

I put my hand on his shoulder and turned him to me, "you're not a street kid anymore and I know we don't know each other very well but you stepped into my care. You are extremely valuable to me. Even before me, you had and still have more worth than you'll ever understand."

He stared at me in awe, complete and utter shock. Something I mimicked when he launched himself at me and held me in a hug that squeezed the air out of me.

My arms hung stupidly at my sides when I felt a warm spot form on my shirt, "thank you." I carefully put my arms around him and touched his soft hair, "no problem Wil."

We often forget things about street kids. We remember that they're dirty, suffering, hungry and so many other unfair things but we forget that they are kids. And now, Wilan was mine.