Thirteen

"Baby, wake up" an angelic voice coo's before a sweet quick kiss is planted on my lips making me groan and want more but I also want more sleep. I open my eyes when the kisses didn't stop and sleep didn't come back.

"You know what today is?" he asks giggling as I pull him back down to the bed so I can lie on top of him and he can quit pestering me with his soft lips. It's too early to do anything and his heart beat is my favourite sound to fall asleep to so this is how I hope to spend the day. "Go to sleep angel, it's too early to even talk about todays drag" I mumble into him.

"Really? Is it even too early go see our maybe-hopefully-please-god baby girl?" When he says this my eyes shoot open. "Today?" I ask shocked and sitting up. "Today" he nods smiling.

"Come on then! Why didn't you say so earlier. We need to get a move on" I say happily and pull him along with me to our bathroom. I start running the bath and look in the mirror, smiling at our sleepy reflections. He looked up at me with a radiant smile.

"What you smiling at dork?" I ask poking his forehead making him giggle.

"We're gonna be fathers" he sang jumping up and down. "Hopefully" I whisper pulling him in for a hug. He looked up at me with a goofy smile, stood on my feet and hoisted himself up to rub his nose on mine.

We sat in the ladies office anxiously waiting for her to bring in our maybe-hopefully-please-godbaby girl. Ever since I sent those letters in I've become really religious, in the sense that I pray and thank God everyday for all the wonderful things happening to me. The door creaked open and in came a screaming little pink bundle.

Her arms thrashing through the air. The lady coo'd at her trying to calm her down, it only helped a little. The bundle was now whining and wriggling uncomfortably in her arms. The little being was in so much pain, fear hit me like a ton of bricks when Casp got up and hesitantly took the bundle from her, he gasped and tears pooled in his beautiful eyes.

"Xander, come hold her... she's so gorgeous" he said in a breathy voice. Slowly I stood up and walked towards my husband and the little being. He held her towards me. That's a living being, a living breathing little being that could one day bring beauty to the world. That's a fragile little life that I'm supposed to hold in my shaking arms then take home to care for forever? And people trust me not to mess her up?

I looked down at the crying bundle and then at Caspiry. He gave me an encouraging smile. With a deep breathe I took her in my arms. Her crying ceased. Her eyes opened and she stopped wriggling.

She truly was breathtaking... absolutely perfect. "Hi sunshine..." I whisper at the little girl with bright blue eyes. Sunshine seemed like the most appropriate thing to call her, she was literally radiant.

I held her closer and felt her soft cheek and hair, her short little chubby arms reached out and curled around my arm. She made my heart stop, she's so soft and pure and looks kind of like a melted marshallow when she scrunches up her face.

I chuckled lowly and watched as her eyes sparkled and a gummy smile appear on her face. Then I heard the most beautiful sound, her laughter. I smiled and felt tears trail down my cheeks. "Hey you, hi you little raisin" I whisper to the angel in my arms.

Casp puts a hand on my arm making me look up at him. "She seems to like you very much" he giggles softly looking down at her.

"She'll love you just as much baby" I smile pecking his lips. Then I heard another little sniffle; not from Caspiry, not from me, not from the pruny angel but from her mother. Rebecca. "Thank you."

She wiped away her tears and Caspiry snapped his head towards her "I promise well treasure her always."

"I know you will, I can tell from the way your face lit up when you first saw her" Rebecca says in a hushed voice with a slight smile "guess all there is left to do is sign her paper work and off you'll go."