Forty

"We should think of names" I said while rubbing my tummy. I was in such discomfort because my pregnancy pillow was all the way downstairs. I didn't know how to lie or relax. I was currently on my side watching two thirds of my family get ready with one arm rubbing my tummy and the other holding my giant belly. On top of that I really should get up and dressed for work but I was feeling low today.

It was one of those days where all you feel you're able to do is lie in bed because you simply don't have the energy and all the evil in the world is just lying on top of you making sure you can't get up.

"We should confirm a gender" Xan hummed back as he brushed our daughters little golden locks.

I rolled my eyes. Even with all the evil on top of me, he's here. Like my personal heaven I did nothing to deserve.

"We could even have a gender reveal party" he smiled, probably proud how he put that little bow in just right. He's been practicing... on himself.

"You're looking for an excuse to throw me a birthday party."

"I'm looking for a way to cut corners" he corrected, "Christmas, a birthday party and gender reveal all in one. Think of the money I'll save. I am a very stingy man." 

I let out a laugh, he's such a liar. He should've told himself how stingy he is before he paid all our rent, bought me a big house, put giant rock on my finger, had a big wedding and started spoiling me and our kids like it was as easy as breathing.

"I'm thinking Mira, if it's a girl" I hum.

"Aaron?"

"Celeste."

"Dion."

"Please stop your nonsense" I deadpanned looking him in the eye with a face that told him I'd kill him in his sleep if he wasn't careful.

"Mira or Kyle" he said with a goofy look in his eye "get it? Miracle... Mira-Kyle... because our baby is a-"

"I'll stab you with a squirrel if you say our baby is a Mira-Kyle."

"My talent is under appreciated in our society. My puns are a gift, not pun-ishment" he said dead seriously rolling his eyes. "I think I should just leave, go somewhere where I will be appreciated."

He quickly pulled on his suits jacket, straightened himself up and ran a hand through his neatly brushed hair. Once happy with his appearance he picked up his daughter and came to give me a kiss on the cheek. "I'm going to work where Julie and Amanda will laugh at all my jokes."

"They can laugh but if either one of them put their little hands on my mans arms one more time I'll-"

"Stab them with a squirrel?" he smirked sitting on the edge of the bed. Jay climbed from his grip and came to lie in the cradle created by my body, baby bump and arm.

"Yes actually" I said with a smile caressing my daughters chubby cheek. She's so beautiful. I got lost in her eyes that were opened wide as she around as if this was an entirely new place to her. Her chubby cheeks were pulling the corners of her mouth down ever to slightly. She was still half asleep. Her little baby yawns still made my heart sink and her little hand rubbing those baby blues- it was all too much.

He shook his head and looked at me with a smile on his face but concern in his eyes.

"I will get up, I promise. I'm fine."

"I could stay a little longer, help you get ready maybe?" He said with worry laced in every syllable.

I smile and cupped his cheek. "I'm fine."

He let the corner of his mouth raise. "Come, say bye?"

I nodded.

We all headed downstairs and then I waved goodbye to my husband who held our daughters little pink fluffy handbag which contained various objects she refused to live without and his laptop messenger bag he's hand since I met him.

When I think about it he barely buys anything new for himself until it's absolutely necessary. When he likes something he holds onto it so I sure am lucky he doesn't just like me.

"Okay guys, who's ready for a worksheet on cyclic quads?" I asked in fake excitement as a groan left every learner as I started to hand out the thick stacks of paper.

I smiled, "this will be such great fun guys. Who doesn't love tangents?"

The entire class let out a loud 'me'. Children of today. 

"Are we still having extra lessons today?" someone asked from behind me.

"We will indeed but please remember that I'm here everyday until around four if anyone wants help with any work covered-"

My phone was ringing on my desk but I just ignored it. "Feel free to come with any issues- or take my advice I write on your papers. You guys know how to read. I've seen your English marks. Believe me, I want you to pass. I need you to pass, I'm tired of seeing you guys" I joked.

We continued our lesson and my phone continued to blow up.

When the bell eventually went off I checked it and my heart started to beat fast.

17 missed calls and more than 20 texts from Wil.

"Dad I need you to get me right now. Please."

"Dad I'm not okay."

"Please don't tell the Captain! I just really need to see you right now."

"I'll explain everything when you get me."

"Dad! Answer your phone!"

"Please! I need you right now!"

"I'm in the O7 block at school in the boys bathroom.

"Momma help me."

I couldn't waste time. I grabbed my car keys and ran to the principals office, rambling about how I had to leave because of a family emergency. He understood and just like that I was gone.

My phone started ringing again when I was halfway there but I was on the freeway and there was no place to stop and pull over but what if it's Wil-

"Okay" I started chanting, reaching for my phone but not taking my eyes off the road for one second and saying a short prayer of protection that a car accident will not take away my little Mira-Kyle.

"Hello?"

"Mr C" the voice said. It was Lano.

"I can't talk right now-"

"I'm with Wil. We're at my place. 47 Wild Olive drive, Hippolane Apartments. Come in by the foyer and ask for Evan D and the doorman will send you right up. Drive safe- he's safe, just a bit shaken up."

"I'm on my way" I said in a shaky breath.

I stumbled through the apartment door and found Wil with his knees drawn to his chest and a blanket around his shoulders as Lano tried to calm him.

"Wil" I let out in shock.

My son ran to me and threw himself at me.

"Please take me home. I want to be back in my bed. I want you to say goodnight to me and to see Jaime and to hang out with pops and listen to you guys whisper how much you love each other and us even though it's gross and embarrassing and-"

"What happened pop?"

He looked up at me. Someone hurt my baby. He had a black eye and a cut lip. The arms wound so tightly around me were bruised. There was blood on his school uniform.

"Who did this? What happened?"