Forty Four

It's not there anymore, my baby bump.

I can't feel it.

I can't feel movement in my abdomen.

I can't feel life. I can't feel my baby.

All I feel is stiff stitching that pulls when I breathe and aches when I'm cold.

I'm back where I was when I lost Fiona. In a hospital bed too afraid to open my eyes and see a flat stomach. I'm not ready to deal with that kind of loss. But with that logic I'll probably never open my eyes because I'll never be ready.

I was being careful to not move a muscle because the hand I felt holding mine was definitely my husbands and I couldn't face him yet.

So I waited. I waited and waited and waited until he left the room. And when the door latched closed my eyes flew open.

I slowly sat up, my cut hurting to a point where I feel it might rip open. I had too many wires on my body. Too many things making sure I'm alive and well when I did nothing to deserve it.

I lost my baby again and I couldn't do anything but stare at the hospital blankets covering me and the remote that was pressed into my right hand.

My eyes followed the remote up a twisted vine of tubes on my arm and past my shoulder to a tray next to me that had a glass of water. The bed groaned louder than I did when I reached for the glass.

The glass only made it halfway to me before leaving the grasp of my hand and falling to the ground. The glass fell and shattered because of shock. The glass was frightened. A sudden shriek from across the room had scared me and the glass to a point of breaking.

My eyes shot to the opposite end of the room where a baby- no, where two babies- were in a clear domed cot with a little breathing tube going into one of their mouths. I watched their little limbs straighten and curl in the air uncomfortably as they kicked and punched the air.

They can't be mine.

But as I looked closer I saw it. A little name tag that said Baby Talisker A and B. That's my surname. That's mine and my husbands surname.

There's two of them.

"Xander" I whispered in disbelief and felt my fingers dig into the help button of my remote.

"Xander!" I yelled over and over hysterically, feeling tears run down my face as I cried with my babies pressing every button on the remote until finally he was there with two nurses.

"Angel calm down" Xander whispered holding me as I sobbed.

"Are they ours? To keep? Forever?" I asked watching the nurses try to calm my babies down without touching them

"Yes baby. Two baby boys" he said kissing the top of my head. My tears blurred my vision and my body jerked from my sobs.

"Can I hold them?" I asked, hearing the crying go on. It hurt. They needed me. I know it.

"Unfortunately not babe, they're just a bit too weak right now because of how premature they are" Xan said quietly.

"What happened?"

"You went into early labor, I don't know why but I guess they just couldn't wait to surprise you. The doc tried to explain it to me but- well, all I cared about was whether or not you guys were okay. And you are. All three of you, just baby B might be having a few breathing problems at the moment."

"But he'll be fine?"

"Definitely, he's got his little brother right next to him to keep him warm and calm" he said gently running his hands through my hair "we raise fighters long before they take their first breathes. Our kids take so much after their dad it's outstanding."

I smiled, "their dad gets a lot of his strength from their papa, he is after all the amazing captain of this family."

"A good captain is only strong because his men, and princess, inspire him to be better" he whispered kissing my temple as we watched our babies slowly calm down.

"Names?"

"Mira and Kyle" he joked making me roll my eyes.

Xan informed me that his parents as well as mine were taking care of the kids back at the house, much to Wil's complaint. Which without a doubt is because Xander's dad had said Wil was just a replacement. But since then, so I've heard the old mans been trying hard to win Wil over.

Which I'm not sure will go well considering Wil was recently attacked by a older man who he did not particularly like. When he described the man to the police he had mentioned that the man gave him a weird vibe. Xan's dad would definitely be giving him a handful of weird vibes.

"I like the theme of a miracle" I whispered looking down at my children who had been wheeled closer to my bedside a long while after I'd woken up. They were very careful to not wake my well packaged little bundled gifts from heaven.

"Well do you have anything in mind?" Xan whispered bouncing just a little in one spot, trying his hardest to get her to sleep.

"Hippie names" I giggled before running my hand through Wils messy hair that he'd been twisting as he read some or other book about- love, I suppose. What else? That's what most teenage books are about nowadays. I think...

"Haven and Cova" Wil mumbled barely parting his lips and pulling his hair gently.

"What's Cova?"

He shrugged, "Cove but with an 'ah' at the end."

I rolled my eyes but I had to admit, "I like it. Our big-little man looks a lot like a Haven I guess. He has something calm about him, you can kinda tell from how he accepts cuddles from his little-big brother when they cry."

I thought about it for a while. Our littlest one is definitely a Haven of sorts. He gives off a feel of safety and calm. "And our little-big strong man who will soon be breathing all on his own could definitely be a Cove- or well... Cova."

I felt his from his wild little kicks. He was fighting off everything. His little fists crashed violently into the blanket wrapped around him and his vibrant energy came in large waves. He was the ocean crashing into the shore and he was protected by his- by our Haven. He was definitely our Cova.

"I love it" Xan whispered back very distracted as he tried to get it out through his little shushes.

"Let's make it official" I said pressing the little help button again and putting the names of my boys on their birth certificates.

And then I found myself saying goodbye to three fifths of my family and on the way out I heard Xander tell Wil, "your dad probably only likes the name Cova because it reminds him of his first crush. Kovu the lion."

And then fear hit me like a ton of bricks. Did I just-

Oh Caspiry. You fool.