• Sorry •

{ t h i r t y - f o u r }

Cat and I walked in the hospital, we got a few stares as we continued to the elevators. We got to the third floor, and got stopped by a doctor.

"Hey, do you need crutches?" She asked. I shook my head and faked a smiled. "No thank you." I replied.

She nodded and continued to walk off. We arrived to the waiting room and saw Melanie's mom crying in Vic's arms.

"What's wrong??" I asked. Mike wiped the tears from his eyes and shook his head. "They're going to move the date to tomorrow. They're going to disconnect her tomorrow night." She cried.

Tears built in my eyes. My heart started to pound out of my chest. "Why?!" I yelled. Cat put her hands on my shoulder and sat me down.

"They just are." She replied. I sighed and started to cry. I felt hand touch my leg softly. I opened my eyes and saw Cat crying.

"Have faith in her Tony. She's going to make it, because she's a strong girl." She whispered. I nodded and wiped the tears from my eyes.

I tried to stand, but the pain of body wouldn't let me. "Tony. Sit down." Cat whispered. I shook my head, and limped out the room. I waked to Melanie's room and saw her sitting there .

Hanging on to her life.

I sat down beside her and looked at her. I sighed and shook my head. "You lied to me. You said we were going to be together forever." I muttered.

"No. You didn't. But you can't leave me . Melanie, I'll go crazy without you." I whispered. I squeezed her hand, and she squeezed mine back.

I smiled. "Oh. I'm going to miss you babe." I whispered to her. A tear started to fall from my eye.

"What the hell is it that you want from me?! I'm losing everything!" I yelled. Tears streaming down my face.

Cat walked in. With tears in her eyes. "Tony? Let's go." She whispered. I hesitated to get up and follow.

She grabbed my hand and led me to the elevator. "Are you going to be there... When they disconnect her?" Cat asked me. I nodded and faked a sad smile.

"Yeah.." I trailed off.

"Can we come back tonight?" I asked her. She nodded and grabbed my hand again as the elevator opened again.

We walked out the hospital and caught the bus back home. Cat took me to my house, and to my surprise, my grandma was there.

I sat on the couch. Hoping nobody asked me to get up. "Mijo, is your face bruised?" My grandma asked.

I shrugged and sighed. "I fell ma." I replied. She frowned as if she didn't believe me.
"Let's go for a walk.?" She asked.

I hesitated at first, but I agreed and stood up from my chair. We walked out the house and started to walk around the neighborhood.

"So what's going on?" She asked. I sighed and shrugged it off. "I don't know ma." I replied. "Why. What's wrong?" She added.

"The hospital is disconnecting my girlfriend from life support tomorrow night. I don't think I will be able to handle it." I replied.

"What ever happens babe, just always keep faith in her. What ever happens, she'll be in good hands. If she lives, she's with you, but if she doesn't, she will be with your father and brother." She whispered.

"She's in my prayers babe." She said with cracks in her voice. She never really liked talking about death. Especially after the death of my little brother.

"Thanks ma." I whispered. "Now. Why is there bruises on your face?" She asked.

I sighed and gave in. "A couple of guys..." I replied. She shook her head and frowned with a sigh.

"It won't happen again ma." I added. She nodded and sighed. "Let's head back. It's getting dark." She replied.

After my grandma left, I sat on the couch. There was a knock at the door, so I went to open it. I opened the door to see Cat.

"You ready?" She asked. I nodded and smiled. "Hold on. I need to get something." I replied.

I walked upstairs to get my guitar. When I got downstairs, Cat was ready.

We got to the hospital and everyone got to see Melanie. Except me. I had to wait till the end.

Right now, Cat is seeing her. I sat in the chair, getting random flashbacks of when I met her.

"Tony? You can see her now." Cat whispered to me. She had tears in her eyes. They were red and puffy.

I walked in the room and saw her laying there, living her last day.

I sat in the room. Beside her. I grabbed her hand and put it in mine.

I let go and grabbed my guitar

I let go and grabbed my guitar. And started to sing a song.

"There was a time when I was alone
Nowhere to go and no place to call home
My only friend was the man in the moon
And even sometimes he would go away, too

Then one night, as I closed my eyes,
I saw a shadow flying high
He came to me with the sweetest smile
Told me he wanted to talk for awhile
He said, "Peter Pan—that's what they call me.
I promise that you'll never be lonely."
And ever since that day...

I am a lost boy from Neverland
Usually hanging out with Peter Pan
And when we're bored we play in the woods
Always on the run from Captain Hook
"Run, run, lost boy," they say to me,
"Away from all of reality."

Neverland is home to lost boys like me
And lost boys like me are free." I sang.

Tears filled my eyes, wishing she would just wake up. Like she promised in my dream. I kissed her forehead and left the room.

19 hours till disconnection.