Chapter 4

Ashton

I hug my pillows closer to me, all I wanted to do now was to escape the real world and go back into the world where it was only me and her.

I look at my watch, patiently tapping my foot on the concrete. I knew I was waiting for her. My surroundings felt and looked real, it was like any other day in this town. Everyone walking down the street looking rather mindless than busy. But that wasn’t the case.

I feel someone gently tap on my shoulder as I turned around in slow-mo. Looking at the girl who lived in my dreams. She had a wide smile across her face, like she was so happy, but at the same time I could see it in her eyes that something wasn’t okay. I quickly pulled her into a hug like it would change whatever she was feeling at the moment.

“I missed you.” I tell her as I kissed her forehead.

“I missed you too, Ashton.” Her voice lingered in my ears.

I felt happy as I hugged her, life my worries were gone and my problems were solved. I knew that the world she lived in – my dreams – was our perfect little bubble.

But the scene changed.

The dark setting of the room made it hard for me to comprehend where we were. But I knew that the girl and I, we weren’t alone. We weren’t in our little bubble of security anymore. Her grasp from my hug disappeared like she was being pulled away. I tried to search around for her, with the little amount of light, I had to wait till my eyes got used to the darkness.

I searched around the room with my eyes, I attempted to take a step forward, but I felt like I was tied up. Though there wasn’t anything holding me back, I simply couldn’t move. I was paralyzed.

I could hear her muffled voice and I feel my eyes tear up because I knew I couldn’t save her either ways. I see a dark figure stand over her, I couldn’t make up what he looked like but I knew he had no other intention but to hurt her.

I forced myself to take a step forward but the invisible hold on gripped tighter, making it harder for me to breathe. I was crying and screaming, no voice came out. I felt my heart start throbbing like it wanted to explode.

The man brought a hand across her cheek, making a loud noise. I see her look the other side in defeat, she was extremely hurt and was sobbing in pain. I cried and cried, I couldn’t save her and all I could do was watch her get tortured.

I attempted scream again, trying harder than I did. I felt like passing out in my own dream, like I popped a nerve. My voice still wouldn’t come out. I was hopeless.

"Ashton!- Ashton wake up! What’s going on?" Calum shook my frantically, I could feel the tension in the room.

I was back to reality. But this dream felt so real, like it happened before. I felt everything like I was living that moment, like I was actually there.

I shook my head, not knowing what to say. Calum sighed deeply as I hear the two other boys run to my room with a bucket of water.

"Why were you screaming Ashton? We tried to wake you up but you wouldn’t open your eyes. We started to panic and Michael thought it’d be a good idea to throw a bucket of water on you.” Luke explained.

I simply nodded my head and went to the kitchen to get a glass of water. I was still disturbed by what I had dreamed last night. I was afraid and I was anxious, like I had gotten out of the scene itself. Like I saved myself, but not her.