Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

Chapter 1:

Kinsley's POV:

Have you ever been so tired that you couldn't fall asleep, well that was me last night. By the time it was nearing morning I was in and out between sleep and consciousness. It was a sorry excuse for sleep but I was too excited since in four hours and twenty-seven minutes I would be eighteen. I was born in April 27, 4037 exactly 5:15 a.m. I couldn't wait for my birthday party my father threw for me every year but for now I would just be happy and settle for four hours' worth of sleep.

4 hours and 25 minutes later...

I groggily woke up feeling too cold for comfort as air hit my goose bumped skin. I don't remember turning on the air. What?? I turned over and saw a silhouette of a person since it was still dark out. Some people would have freaked out finding somebody in their room hovering over them but I didn't. I knew it was Jayce, my best friend.

"What are you doing here at 5:13 in the morning Jayce. Stop flapping your wings I'm awake and very cold," I grumbled. Whenever Jayce wanted me awake he would flap his wings until I was freezing and woke up out of discomfort. The heck with that dude. Its effective but extremely annoying. One of these days he's going to give me hyperthermia, I'm probably exaggerating but you get the gist.

Instead of answering me though Jayce just gave me a toothy and very boyish smile. I gave a loud sigh. I can never seem to stay mad at Jayce, I love him too much. He's been my best friend since I was in diapers. When I was a baby Jayce would pick on me since he was five years older than me. I don't remember any of these but he and his parents did and even showed some videos that were taken to me.

"Hey birthday girl. Did you really think I was going to miss your birthday?" Jayce folded his wings back and slid next to me on my bed. "I wanted to be the first to say 'happy birthday' and you can't officially celebrate it without singing the birthday song," and with that he began to sing, quite horrendously, happy birthday. He cannot sing to save his life and he knows it, he just likes to mess with my super hearing.

"Dude you're messing with my super hearing. All I can hear is that your off pitch, now get out and let me sleep," I said while pushing him off the bed.

"Okay, if that's how you feel...I guess you don't want your birthday gift. I can always just return it." He opened the window and began to climb out when I yelled at him to stop. I wanted my present, sue me.

"What did you get me?" I asked.

"I knew if I mentioned the word 'present' you would make me stay," Jayce said with a mischievous glint in his eyes that made me wary.

He tossed a crudely wrapped package to me which I easily caught and began to tear the wrapping. All the while Jayce looked at me smiling happily at my child-like actions, his arms crossed over his chest making his muscles bulge. I realized I was looking at him and he at me and turned away and gave my attention back to the present. I opened the long jewelry box and gently picked up the silver heart locket with diamonds and purple gemstones, it combined my birthstone and favorite color. It was absolutely stunning and beautiful. Jayce came over to me, lifted up the necklace, and clasped it around my neck.

"I hope you like it and I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty and put two pictures already in it."

I looked up at him and looked back to the locket and opened it. I gasped. On the left side was a picture of me laughing looking really happy on the right side was a picture of Jayce and his family, his parents in the back and Jayce holding his little brother who looked like he was on a sugar rush and ready to bolt. I turned around and gave Jayce a hug. His family has always welcomed me into their home and treated me like I was one of their own.

"I know your touched by your present but come on I got a day of fun planned for us and you still have to get dressed." Jayce said as he pushed me towards my walk-in closet.

5 minutes later...

"Come on it's been five minutes, that's plenty of time."

I walked out ready to go, "You're lucky, most girls take even longer than that like hours longer."

"I know that's why you're my best friend."

"That's the only reason why I'm your best friend? I'm hurt," I pretend a pouty face and start sniffling like I am crying.

"No, no I didn't mean it like that Kinsley. I love you, you know that. You're my best friend. You have been there for me since you can toddle and giving me your 'blanky' whenever you thought I was upset," he came over to me and hugged me. As he hugged me I reached into his back pocket and took his car keys.

I straightened up, "I'll forgive you if I can drive your precious car."

"No way, absolutely no," Jayce argued.

I smiled evilly which made him suspicious, "too late!" I yelled as I started to run.

"Kinsley! Kinsley Bell Nichols come back here!" I laughed as Jayce began to run unleashing his wings. When we got outside he flew up then dove for me. He grabbed me by my waist and flew up with me. I spread out my arms and pretended to fly while laughing my head off. I closed my eyes and breathed in the air.

When we landed my eyes were still closed so I didn't see Jayce grabbing his keys back from me.

"Hey!" I yelled.

"Sorry, but you are not driving my car."

"Whatever, I didn't want to anyway," I lied.

"Yeah right," Jayce scoffed, "come on," he said grabbing by wrist.

Jayce's POV:

As I was driving I couldn't help but be glad for having a best friend like Kinsley. She was everything to me. I'm in love with her whether she knows it or not but I believe it's the latter. She knows I love her but she doesn't know that it is more than a best friend would.

I sighed, one day...