Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

Kinsley's POV:

"It's her birthday for crying out loud! I am not going tell her about it quite yet. I need the perfect moment," I heard Jayce say to the person on his phone. Whatever it was, it sounded serious. I have never heard Jayce speak like that and honestly it scared me. It even sounded almost threateningly. I never had a reason why I should fear Jayce, he never gave me one. Even if a person irritated me there would be hell to pay, Jayce always made sure of that. It kind of embarrassed me but at the same time endeared me. He would always protect me no matter what.

"Okay I get it, I'll do it soon but in the mean time get off my back," once Jayce ended the call I knew that was my cue to get out. He didn't need to know that I overheard his conversation.

I went back to the party that my Dad kindly threw for me and as soon as it started left so I can enjoy myself without an adult chaperone.

"Hey! Did you find Jayce?" My friend Ileana asked looking a bit tipsy, but I knew my friend. She may look defenseless at the moment but even at her current state she can still kick butt. I should know she accidentally kicked mine thinking that a person was stalking her.

"No," I lied, "he might be outside."

"Who's outside?" I heard a deep masculine voice ask. Jayce.

"You," Ileana said while swaying to the punk rock song she requested from the DJ. "Princess here wants to blow out her candles soon."

I rolled my eyes at her and looked over to Jayce, "so where were you?" I asked innocently.

"Oh, I-I got a phone call that I needed to answer and I couldn't hear here with the loud music and all," I nodded my head knowing he's hiding something from me. That feeling that I felt at the amusement park came back. My own best friend was lying to me.

"So, you're ready to blow out your candles?" He asked changing the subject.

"Yup," I replied backing popping the 'p.'

"Well, let's go then," he said grabbing my hand. Once we reached the stage he tapped the DJ to make his announcement.

"Okay people, birthday girl is going to blow her candles!" everybody cheered and looked over to me standing by my cake.

"Okay, you ready! Everybody sing happy birthday to the birthday girl!" Jayce yelled. Oh no, not again.

🎶 Happy birthday to you! 🎶

🎶 Happy birthday dear Kinsley! 🎶

🎶 Happy birthday to you! 🎶

Everybody began to cheer and clap and the music began again. Jayce came over to me with arms out reached. When he came near I began to slap them away.

"No, no get away from me," I said.

"Now why are you not happy?" he mockingly asked.

"You promised you wouldn't make them sing," I whined a little bit.

"Well, its your eighteenth birthday, Kins. You couldn't expect us, your friends, not to sing for you the birthday song, right?" He gave me those puppy dog eyes I absolutely hated because I always caved in.

"I guess not," I sighed. Jayce: one, Me: zero.

"Well, I don't know about you but I am ready to bury my face into that cake," Jayce pointed at the four feet tall cake.