Chapter Three

K A S H M E RE

Today was one of the many days I took Kaliyah to work with me. I was feeling good, after waking up to a good morning text from Dominic I got ready my day.

At work Kaliyah was my little mini shadow. We dressed similarly in gray sweats, red t-shirt and black and red sneakers. One thing she inherited from me is her rhythm because her dad sure didn't have none. She loved dancing and loved dancing along with the other kids in my classes. She didn't just do anything, she could actually lock down routines. All day she put a smile on everyone's face, making people laugh and smile.

During our lunch break me and Braeden decided to go out for lunch and I sat and watched as she ate her apple slices humming to herself.

"Have you had enough," I asked her.

She immediately starting shaking her head no, "Ice cream."

She already was energetic so the last thing I wanted to give her was ice cream.

"Maybe later."

She looked at me and started pouting, "Please mommy?"

I wasn't falling for her little pouty face, not today.

"Please mommy," Braeden mocked her and even wore the same pitiful look on his face.

"Fine," I gave in.

After lunch we headed back and finished up my classes for the day. Despite the music being turned off Kaliyah was still dancing around doing her own thing.

"We still have to go and get dinner," I called out to her.

"I'm not hungry right now," she yelled back at me.

I turned to Braeden who was watching her with a smile on his face, "This is your fault."

"What," he put a hand to his heart like he was hurt.

"You know how she is when she has sugar in her system."

Braeden sucked his teeth and waved me off, "Let her live, she's only four. You better be glad that right now all she wants is toys and candy. And speaking of candy, I have plans."

"With who?"

"With none of your business," he patted my shoulder.

"How come my life is always a hot topic but you like to keep yours private?"

"Because I don't have anything to tell, not yet at least. And I'm sorry to say it but your life is way more interesting than mine. You ready to lock up?"

I looked at the clock and waved him off, "I'm going to let her burn some more energy, you go and have fun."

He smiled and hugged me, "Call me when you get home."

"I will," I promised as he walked over to hug Kaliyah goodbye and soon he was out the door.

"You ready to go home," I asked her.

"No," she shook her head and spun around. I was about to turn on some music when I heard her call out.

"Daddy!"

I turned around just in time to see her jump in August's arms and he picked her up. I smiled despite the circumstances and started gathering our stuff so we could leave so they could have there moment.

Once I had the bags I walked over and August looked at me and smiled. I hadn't seen or talked to him since last week. I still didn't think we had anything to talk about or any real reason to be around each other but I would be cordial for Liyah's sake.