Chapter Nine

A U G U S T

Today was Liyah's birthday and all morning long I had been running around picking up her gifts. I had a lot of shit to make up for since I missed her birthday last year so I was going all out.

Kash wanted to have the party at her studio but with all the shady shit going on I had to convince her that we do something small.

Once I pulled up to my moms I parked and checked myself out in the rear mirror before getting out and popping the trunk and grabbing all the bags I could carry and heading to the front door and ringing the bell. A few seconds later it was opening and Kash stood on the other side.

She was wearing a pair of panted on jeans, vans on her feet, and a v-neck white T. Her hair was tied up on top of her head and though she may of not been wearing nothing special she still looked beautiful.

"Wassup Coco puff," I flashed her a smile and watched her raise an eyebrow. Before she could come back with something to say Kaliyah had ran up on me.

"Daddy, your here!"

"I told you I was coming," I leaned down to kiss her, "Happy birthday."

She smiled and focused her attention on the bags in my hands.

"Presents for me?"

"Yep."

"All of them?"

"All of them are for you and I got another present for you out in my truck."

Her eyes got wide, "Can I open them up now, please?"

She looked up at me with her big brown eyes.

"Just one."

She smiled and I dug in one of the bags and handed her a box. She wasted no time running to the living room and started to tear the wrapping paper off. Watching her I remembered the times me and Kash had to help her open up gifts. She was growing up fast, just in a few months she would be going to kindergarten.

"Were getting old," I shook my head and watched Kaliyah rip open her gift.

"Your getting old," she replied looking over at me, "I could still pass for a teenager."

"So you say," I looked over at her checking her out, I got a good view of the front when she opened the door but she looked just as good from the back as she did from the front.

Kaliyah screamed and jumped up and down in place and clapped her hands and looked over at me.

"Thank you," she held up the Princess Tiana Jewelry Box. She already opened it up and it was playing music, "Look Mommy."

"I see. Now you have a new place to put all your jewelry."

"I thought you were supposed to be helping me ice the cupcakes," my mom came out the kitchen.

"Oh yeah," Kaliyah sat the jewelry box down and skipped to the kitchen after my mom. After they were gone I sat the rest of the gifts down and focused my attention on Kash who walked by me and sat on the couch pulling out her phone and I walked over and sat on the other end of the couch. She was texting somebody but before I could ask she put her phone away.

"So how's work," I asked her hoping that we could have a real conversation.

"Everything is good, I cant complain. We've been open at new location for almost a year now."

"Speaking of location, you didn't have to leave your old studio. I know I said a lot of shit but at the end of the day the place was yours. I bought it for you."