Chapter Seventeen

K A S H M E R E

I could hear Kaliyah's voice and I thought that I was still dreaming until I finally managed to open my eyes. I turned my head and and noticed Kaliyah sitting in a chair next to my bed. Her legs were swinging back and forth and she was looking down at the book in her hands. It didn't take long before she looked up and her eyes widened and she gasped.

"Mommy!"

She jumped down from the chair and onto the bed and wrapped her arms around me as best as she could. I hugged her back despite how much it hurt, physically. I thought that I would never see her again, hear her laugh or see her smile. I thought about how close I came to death and just the thought of not getting to see Kaliyah grow up brought tears to my eyes. Kaliyah would of grown up never really knowing who her mother was, all she would have of me were memories, memories that would fade away over time. The thought only made me hug her tighter and cry harder.

"Mommy why are you crying," Kaliyah asked pulling back to look at me.

"Because I'm happy," I sniffled kissing her cheek.

"I'm happy to. You never came to daddy's house to pick me up and then daddy took me to grandma's house. I didn't know where you were and I missed you. Then we came here to see you and daddy said you were sleepy. I told daddy I wanted you to wake up and I when you didn't I started crying."

"You were?"

"Yes," she nodded her head looking sad.

"Well I'm up now," I smiled at her pinching her cheek playfully, "And I'm not going anywhere, ever again."

"You promise?"

"I promise."

I kissed her cheek and looked behind her and smiled at Ms. Sheila who was sitting across the room quietly letting us have our little moment.

"When are you coming home," Kaliyah asked.

"I'm not sure, but when I do we can spend all our time together. Play games, do our hair and nails, eat candy and ice-cream," I tickled her stomach just to see her laugh and smile. She kissed my cheek and lay her head down on me. Silent tears feel down my cheek but before she could see I quickly wiped them away.

Five minutes later my doctor came in and I was happy that I could finally get some answers. I didn't want to talk about what happened to me with Liyah in the room so I asked if Ms. Sheila could take her out.

"C'mon Liyah," Ms. Sheila grabbed her hand but she started pouting.

"I don't want to leave, I want to stay wit mommy," she pouted.

"Mommy isn't going anywhere, I'll be here when you come back," I assured her.

"And awake," she asked.

"Yes I'll be awake."

She nodded her head hesitantly and headed towards the door with Ms. Sheila looking at me the whole time. Once they were gone I focused my attention on the doctor.

I had so many questions and I didn't even know where to start.

"Well Nurse Pat told me she informed you on your loss. My sincerest apologies."

I nodded placing my hands on my stomach, it was still hard to believe I was pregnant on top of everything else I've been through.

"I was told you weren't aware you were pregnant since you were early along. We offer counseling and classes to assist you with this type of situation."

I shook my head, I didn't need counseling. I needed answers, answers that counseling couldn't give me.

"I want you to stay the night and if everything checks out for the rest of the day and overnight I'll give the okay to send you home tomorrow afternoon."