Chapter Thirty-Three

K A S H M E R E

I've been in this hospital ever since that night everything went down. I was scared to death that August was going to die and I was a wreck the waiting room until August got out of surgery. I was a mix of emotions and took some of it out on Trey wondering why was August upstairs alone with Mace in the first place and where was he. He gave some excuse about making sure every last one of them was dead but he still could have had his back. And maybe he wouldn't be laying in a hospital bed right now.

After he got out of surgery the doctor told me that he lost a lot of blood. The doctor told me that he he was shot twice in the stomach, one bullet barely missed his spine and the other one went right through. They managed to get the bullet out but in the process he lost so much blood that he slipped into a coma.

As if that news wasn't upsetting I had to deal with the police. Of course I had to come up with a lie about how August ended up with two bullets wounds. They seemed to believe my story but didn't stop there and asked me about Mace. By now they knew about his house being set on fire. They knew that him and August were close and they told me that there had been a string of murders all over the city that night. From detectives, to lawyers and top officials with ties to Mace. It was just my luck that they thought that August was the victim of a similar crime.

I told them all they needed to know and then they asked me my relationship with Mace. I told them that since August and him were close that me and him were close. That he was a good friend and with tears in my eyes I asked if he was okay? They told me that they weren't sure yet and instead of going on and on they saw that I was upset enough and after telling me to call if I had any questions or thought of anything else they left.

Once they were gone Trey showed back up and I felt bad about blowing up on him so even though I wasn't sorry about blowing up on him I apologized anyway. He then filled me in on everything that was going on with everything and then sent me home. I didn't want to leave but I left anyway after telling Trey to call me if anything changed.

Two days later and still no change. August was still in a coma and everyday I sat in a chair next to his bed to keep him company. I sat there watching over him every day wishing and hoping that he would wake up soon. The rest of the guys were laying low but I kept them updated on his condition.

It was late and I was dozing off but sat up when someone knocked on the door. In walked one of the nurses telling me that visiting hours were over. She walked out after telling me that and I leaned down to give August and kiss and promised him I would be back tomorrow. After making sure he was comfortable I grabbed my stuff and left his room and the hospital.

After getting to my car I turned on my phone and just as I did my cell phone rang. It was the one person that I had been avoiding these past few days.

"Hi Ms. Sheila."

"Kashmere," Ms. Sheila sighed like she was relieved, "I've been worried sick."

"I'm sorry," I apologized, "How are you guys, how's Liyah?"

"Were fine, but she misses you and August."

"I'm sorry," I apologized again, I felt bad for avoiding her but I couldn't bring myself to talk to her. I had been checking up on them through Franklin and Jerome, the guys August hired for security.

"Can I speak to her?"

"Wait, where's August, how is he," she asked and I could hear the worry in her voice.

"He," I hesitated, "He's okay. Everything worked out fine but you know him and the guys have been laying low. He wanted to call you himself but he's been busy with everything that's been going one but he wants you to know not to worry and he'll call you soon."

I hated lying to her but I couldn't bring myself to tell her what was going on.

"That's good but you tell that boy to call me when he gets time, matter of face tell him to make some time."

"I will."

"Hold on."

I could hear her talking to someone in the background and I smiled after hearing her adorable voice and with everything that I've been through it was probably the first real genuine smile I've had in days.

"Hello?"

"Hi baby."

I heard her gasp, "Mommy!"

"Hi," I laughed, "Have you been good for grandma."

"Of course." she said making me smile even more, "I miss you mommy, when are you coming back?"

"Soon," I told her, "Are you having fun on your trip?"

"Yes. Grandma taught me how to swim and we went to the beach and I found a lot of seashells, some for you and some for daddy. Where is daddy, can I talk to him?"

The tears I was trying so hard to fight rolled down my cheek, "He's not here with me right now but he misses you."

"Can you tell him I miss him to and that I love him?"

"Of course I will."

"I love you mommy."

"I love you more."

I talked to them for ten more minutes before getting off with them. After staying at my place the first night I couldn't do it so I packed a few bags and checked into a hotel close to the hospital. Once I got there I had a headache so I popped some medicine and decided to soak in the tub, trying my best to relax.

After getting out the tub I sat on the bed watching the news. For the past day the news had been covering the string of murders and the fire at Mace's house. It started off as a mansion fire and now they were calling it a multiple homicide. From what the boys told me they did there best to destroy all evidence and from what I saw on the news they did a great job.

I should be happy that it was all over but I was far from happy and I wouldn't be until August was awake. . I gazed down at the ring on my finger remembering back to the night he proposed to me for the second time. It seemed like so long ago when in reality it was only a week ago. Looking at him I had faith that he was going to wake up soon. He had to.