Chapter Ten

K A S H M E RE

Why do good girls fall for the bad boys? It was a question I had asked myself to many times to count in the last two years. Here I was with this perfect guy who was willing to be patient with me, who was there for me but every time I was around him all I could think about was comparing him to my ex.

On paper Dominic was great. He was a businessman. He was smart, college educated, respectable, he was everything I probably needed but he wasn't who I wanted. I was looking for that spark but when I was with him I didn't feel anything.

When I first met August I couldn't deny that there was just something about him. I was drawn to him and I threw all caution to the wind. I knew that he wasn't the ideal guy. I knew that my mom wouldn't approve but I took a chance anyway and I fell in love with him a few months in. He could always put a smile on my face and just being near him gave me butterflies.

When I was with Dominic though, I didn't feel none of that. I didn't get butterflies, my heart didn't race, I felt nothing. When August used to kiss me I used to just feel the connection, feel the love but with Dominic kissing just felt like kissing. He wasn't a bad kisser but I just felt like something was missing.

Granted me and August did have six years of history. I lost my virginity to him He was my first everything and he knew everything there was to know about me. I thought maybe I just needed to spend more time with Dominic and so that's why I changed my mind about ending things with him. I tried to spend all of my free time with him hoping that feelings would develop.

I was dead wrong. The more time I spent with him the more I realized that maybe we were better off as friends. The day I finally got the courage to tell him that was the day he asked me to meet his family.

I choked on my water.

"Are you okay?"

I looked into his hazel eyes and nodded, "I'm okay. Your family, as in your parents?"

"And little sister, well 22 year old sister," he reached across the table and took my hand in his, "I really like you, these past few months have been amazing and I'm almost thirty. I'm not getting any younger. I want my family to meet the girl that has all my attention. What do you say?"

I sighed nervously. I didn't want to hurt his feelings so instead of saying what should have been no I said

"Okay, yes."

So here I was the night before this dinner tossing stuff out of my closet and laying out outfits trying to find the perfect one. My bedroom looked like a tornado had ransacked my closet and I was stressing myself out for nothing.

I was about to call Braeden but didn't want to hear his big mouth. Danielle was out of town so I didn't want to bother her either. Before I could figure out what to do there was a knock at the front door. I made my way out of my bedroom and stopped and checked myself out in the mirror and fluffed off my hair but rolled my eyes at myself and opened up the front door.

In front of my stood August with a sleeping Kaliyah in his arms. I moved to the side to let him in and led him quietly to Kaliyah's room so he could lay her down. I watched from the doorway as he took off her shoes and jacket. I found myself smiling at the scene but my smile quickly faded once I came back to reality.

He pulled the covers up over her, kissed her cheek and walked with me out the room so I could crack the door.

"Your not going to turn on her night light?"

"She doesn't use it anymore," I informed him, "Thank you for dropping her off."

"It's cool. Sorry It's late."