Chapter Thirty-Four

Today was day three of August being in a coma and all I had done for the past days were sit around and stress hoping that he would wake up. I wouldn't be able to keep lying to Ms. Sheila for to much longer but I didn't have the heart to tell her that August was in the hospital.

The nurse suggested that I talk to him and at first it felt strange but that;s what I did. I talked to him about his mom and Kaliyah and how they were doing. I even talked to him about us, telling him that the sooner we woke up the sooner we could get married and have our happily ever after. My words didn't move him because he still just lay still and showed no signs of waking up. I didn't let it discourage me though.

Every day I was here at nine in the morning when visitation started up until 7 pm when it ended. On some days I would get there early and they would allow me in or they would let me stay a little after visitation. I didn't mind staying all day because I had nothing else better to do and plus I wanted to be there when he woke up. When I was back at the hotel all I did was stress and wonder when he was going to wake up.

The one thing I was doing was taken care of myself by eating and sleeping as best as I could even though I didn't have much of an appetite. I knew that August wouldn't want me stressing myself so I tried to relax a best as possible but that was easier said then done.

Today was day four and like the days before I had been here since the early morning. Last night I didn't get much sleep because I had a nightmare. In my nightmare August was dead and Mace was alive and well. I woke up with a quickness and after that couldn't fall back asleep so I stayed up watching TV until it was time to come to the hospital.

Once I got here I had checked on August and talked to him for a little while and then my eyes started getting heavy. I don't know how long I was sleep but I was woken up by someone shaking my shoulder. I woke up disoriented and when I put my head up and saw August staring back at me I thought that I was dreaming until his lips started moving but he started coughing.

Reality set in and I jumped up and went to go and get him some water. After I helped him drink and his coughing fit had ended he still didn't speak.

"I should go and get someone," I told him, I turned to walk away so I could leave the room but him grabbing my arm stopped me in my tracks. When I turned to look at him in question his grip on my arm got tighter so I assumed he didn't want me to leave so instead I rung for someone to come to the room and held his hand.

Once one of his nurses walked in the room and seen August for herself she quickly walked back out after telling us that she was going to get the doctor. Even after the doctors came in he was reluctant to let my hand go but he finally did once the doctors told him he had to so they could look him over.

I stood off to the side while they checked him out and ran tests on him. When they changed his bandages like all the times before I turned my head because I didn't like to look. You would think that I would be used to blood and gore by now but I just didn't like seeing him hurt and looking at the bullet wounds only make me think about how close I came to losing him.

The doctor told us that he was healing nicely but they wanted to keep him for another week just to be on the safe side. I could see the surprise on his face once the doctors told him he had been in a coma for the past four days. One the doctors and nurses were done talking to the both of us they left the room and I kind of just stood there shyly not really knowing what to say.

"So how do you feel," I asked him after I had enough of the silence.

"Like I got shot twice," his voice was still raspy, "You been here everyday?"

"Where else would I be. Do you need anything, more water, are you hungry?"

He shook his head no and after that he was quiet which I could understand because he did just wake up from a coma.

"I should call everyone and tell them that your okay. They've all been really worried."

This time he didn't stop me from leaving the room as I stepped out and made a call to Trey. When he told me that he was on his way now I didn't believe him but no more than thirty minutes later he and a few other guys showed up. When they walked in the room I decided to give them some time because I was hungry anyway.

It was like seeing him awake had got rid of all my stress and now my appetite had came back full force. I got to the cafeteria. After eating and wasting some time I decided to go back upstairs but first I stopped at the vending machine down the hall. I had a four singles on me so I got two pack of M&M's, some Pringles and a bag of Cheeto's. I still had a bottled water back in the room so I headed there.

Once I walked in things got quiet and I guess I had interrupted them talking about business because things got quiet.

"We should go," Trey told him. Once everyone was gone I pulled my chair closer to his bed side and laid all my snacks out. August grabbed a pack of my M&M's and just as quick as he did I snatched it away from him.

"Your not allowed to eat candy."

"Says who," he asked and I had to think about it. The doctor didn't really say what he could and couldn't eat. Then again he almost died so it had to be better then the crap they had been tube feeding him for the past few days.

I handed them back to him and monitored him for a bit before I opened up my pringles but still kept my eyes on him.

"You okay," he asked me.

"I'm not the one who got shot."

"True," he agreed, "But are you sure your okay?"

"I'm great. Why wouldn't I be?"

"You know why."

I knew what he was referring to but what he didn't' know was because I hadn't thought twice about what I did because I was so concerned about him. Then again I didn't' have any remorse for what I did and I don't think I ever will. Mace was dead and I was glad and whoever that chick was that I killed should of thought twice before pulling out a gun on August.

"He got what he deserved and I'm just glad that it's over. Chip?"

I offered him a chip and he shook his head no so I ate it.

"So you didn't tell my mom about me being in the hospital huh? Because if you did I'm sure she would be here right now."

I stopped chewing and looked at him, "I couldn't tell her," I admitted, "So I told her you were just really busy with everything that's been going on. Are you mad at me?"

"Why would I be mad? I know you were just looking out for her. To be honest I'm glad you didn't cause I'm good now."

I agreed. He yawned and I could see that he was tired and honestly so was I. I hadn't gotten any good sleep in the past three days. They say yawning was contagious and right after he yawned so did I.

"You tired?"

"A little," I admitted with a nod.

"Go home and get some sleep."

"Visiting hours aren't over yet though."

"I know but I'm good now. You need to go home and get some sleep. I wasn't gonna say nothing but you look like you bout to pass out. Your hair is all frizzy and-"

"Don't make fun of me," I smoothed down my hair. I been so worried about you that the last thing I was focusing on was my appearance. I was wearing gray joggers, flats and a baggy long sleeve t-shirt. This was far from my usual style but I wasn't trying to impress anybody, "Excuse me for being worried about you."

"I know and I love you for worrying about me but I'm good. Go home and get some sleep."

"Fine," I stood up and grabbed my purse, "But I'll be back tomorrow."

 "I know."