Chapter 11: Journals

XI. 

"Camz. You need to know that no matter the choices you make, whether they be beneficial or otherwise... I'm never not going to be proud of you."

Just like Dinah's had, Lauren's words touched me. I was led into the bedroom and stuffed under the covers, then pulled forcefully so just as every night, I was as close to her as humanly possible. The next morning, I woke to a concerned pair of green eyes, and the feeling of dried tears on my face.

"You were dreaming." She told me, her voice lined with morning raspiness. "And crying."

"Sorry." I turned over so I was facing the wall. "I don't remember any of it."

"Where did you go last night Camila?"

"Why?"

"Because you were gone for hours." Lauren crossed her legs beneath her, pulling the sheets of the bed so they were somewhat smoothed out in her lap. "I was just wondering. You don't need to get angry."

"I'm not angry." I closed my eyes. "Just tired."

"I take it you aren't going to go to school today?"

I shook my head no. "And you can't make me." I added. "So don't even try."

"I won't." I felt Lauren lie back against the bed. "I can't really complain. The less time you spend over there, the more time you get to spend with me."

There was a thick quiet between us, then I heard Lauren shift again to hop off the bed and retrieve something from somewhere else in the room. She returned, poking me in the back with a sharp object. I grunted.

"How about I teach you how to draw today?" She asked, a little more life in her voice. "You did say you wanted to do that a few days ago."

It was a pencil. 

"I think I'd rather just watch you draw." I replied into the wall, skeptic as to whether she could actually hear me.

Lauren made a humming noise. "Or we could go see a movie? Maybe go to the beach? I have a feeling you would look fabulous in a nice black bathing suit."

"Lauren." I turned over, unable to help the smile that crawled onto my lips when I looked at her. No makeup, no pants, a loose tank top and hair disheveled, the girl looked like a goddess. "I just want to sleep."

"Yeah, but you're not going to sleep for the whole day right? I have Fridays off, let's make the most of it."

"Lauren..." My voice turned into a whine. "Please."

"Camila..." Lauren mocked. "Beach."

I rolled over and blinked at her, green eyes huge and as pleading as I had ever seen them. "You really want to go to the beach?" I asked with a sigh. "You want to go sit and bake in the sun, increasing your chances of getting skin cancer and sweating out of your head for three hours, then get in the ocean and risk being eaten by whatever hell is waiting for you in its fucking depths?"

"Wow..." Lauren blinked down at me. "You're a real joy in the morning."

"I'd rather not be killed by a shark." I shrugged, turning over so I was once again facing away from her. "And you're still not back to full health, so you shouldn't be overexerting yourself either."

Lauren laughed. "Since when is drinking a Miami vice at a swim up bar overexerting myself? C'mon, we're in one of the most popular vacation spots in the country! Let's at least take advantage of it!"

"I hate this city." I grumbled, shaking my head.

"You can't say no to me." Lauren placed herself back on the bed, poking at the small of my back with her thumb. "You can try all you want, but we're doing this."