Chapter 25: Handwritten

XXV. 

"Well." I looked down at my forearm, which was now half covered in Taylor's address. "I think we've found the original Jauregui family. Now we're going to need to pay them a little visit."

School had become the last thing in my mind as when the weekend came, Lauren and I got back in the car and did a GPS search of Taylor's address. It was a small home situated not far from the private school, but still a good drive from the apartment. The entire ride over consisted of Lauren asking me a series of questions of which I had no answers.

"I think this is it." I announced, interrupting her worrying and pulling up to the address on my arm. "You ready?"

"No."

I twisted my body to look at her. "Lauren."

She kept her eyes locked on the windshield in front of her, not responding.

"Lauren." I tried again. "Look at me. How long have you been waiting for this?"

"It's felt like a lifetime." She replied. "I've gone my whole life trying to understand why things have worked out the way they did. I've wanted answers for years, yet now that I'm about to get them, I feel sick."

"We can come back later." I suggested kindly. "I think I saw an ice cream place back there, I could use two scoops of pistachio in a waffle cone."

"No, let's do this now. We can get ice cream before we go back." She smiled at me. "And thank you Camz, for everything you've done. I can't believe you've been so understanding."

"To understand is to be free." I shrugged, matching her smile with a tight lipped one of my own.

We both exited the car and made our way up the driveway. The home was quaint; a good size for a typical quiet neighbourhood family yet not too large as to look intimidating. I took the lead, knocking on the door and sliding my hands in my back pockets.

When it opened, I expected to see Taylor, but instead found myself looking at a teenage boy. He had dark hair, styled up and swept to the side with a red and black tank top that had a flaming basketball on the front.

"Hi." I started, putting on the most friendly smile I could muster. Lauren had tucked herself behind me like a shy child, and was watching nervously.

"Hey. What can I do for you?" The boy asked, looking me up and down.

"I'm looking for Taylor."

"Sure." The boy backed up into the house and looked to the right. "Taylor! You have friends here!"

Seconds later, the field hockey player was standing in the doorway as well, gesturing for us to come inside. She had on an outfit that was comprised mainly of the private school's patriotic colours.

"I figured you guys would come." She noted, pulling her hair down from it's tie and ruffling it out around her shoulders. I saw that it was incredibly long, falling to the middle of the young girl's back. "My dad is over in his study, let me go and grab him."

I thanked her, turning to Lauren and lifting an eyebrow. The girl was frowning, her eyes keen and alert.

"You okay?" I asked quietly.

"Something about this place feels off." The girl responded, shifting on her feet like a cat about to pounce. "Stay on your toes."

"Got it." I rolled my eyes as the sound of a door closing caught my attention. Taylor reappeared with a man behind her, one whom she strongly resembled. He had a medium build, short spiky hair and a well trimmed moustache that travelled down either side of his chin in an inverted U shape.