Chapter 28: Runaway

XXVIII. 

A few minutes later, I was sitting in the passenger seat of the Altima, leaning on the windowsill and watching my friends fade away into the late evening glow. With a deep breath, I looked over at Lauren. The girl was smiling to herself, seemingly reading my thoughts like an open book. It was finally time to write myself a new chapter.

And I was determined to make this one end better than the last.

"So where are we going to go first? I know the drive to Pennsylvania isn't actually all that long, can we make some fun stops?"

"Well the first goal is to get out of Florida" Lauren shrugged, leaning back in her seat and gripping the wheel between three fingers at it's base. "It shouldn't take too long so-"

"Can we go to Disney World?" I sat up, interrupting her with a start. "I really want to get one of those huge pretzels in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head. Oh, and a turkey leg as big as my head! And can we go on that really dark Peter Pan ride and fool around before it ends?!"

"I suppose, yes, yes, and hell no." Lauren laughed. "You know that's not what they mean when they call it Magic Kingdom? What's happened to you Camz?"

"You happened to me." I shuffled back and brought one leg up onto the seat, draping my arm over my knee.

Lauren rolled her eyes. "You should sleep, it's late."

"I don't wanna leave you with no one to talk to."

The girl laughed, pulling onto the freeway that led out of town. "I went three years only talking to one person every week. I think I'll be alright. Also you're really cute when you sleep, it's more than enough entertainment for me to watch you purr like a kitten every few seconds."

"I thought you were supposed to keep your eyes on the road." I quirked an eyebrow.

"I'd rather keep my eyes on you."

"Adorable." I turned towards the window, curling my legs up on the seat and adjusting the belt into a more comfortable position against my chest. I closed my eyes, and low and behold, sleep took me a few minutes later.

Those few minutes felt only like mere seconds in time before a light began to flicker in my face. Brow furrowed, I squirmed in my seat, eyes popping open. "What's going on?" I asked groggily.

"Look." Lauren's back was pressed against the handle of her door, her legs draped over the gear shift and feet resting in my lap. The car was stopped, parked among a number of others in a public lot.

I looked, peering out the front window to a barrage of multicoloured flashing lights. A massive castle-like structure stood before us, lit from the bottom up and sparkling with youthful energy. "Disney World!" I nearly screeched, pushing Lauren's legs off me and shouldering the door open. The air was cool, and smelt strongly of fried food and sugar.

"Camila, where do you think you're going?" Lauren asked, exiting the car and locking it behind her. Her voice was already fading away as I skipped towards the entrance. "Camila!" She called, louder this time. "Camz! Don't go running off like that!"

I slowed to a stop, turning around and waving her over. Squinting through the low light, I saw her raise her hand, and all of a sudden I was pushed forward by an invisible force behind my back. "Lauren! You're not allowed to use your crazy powers on me!" I whined, my body lifting off the ground and flying back towards her. I landed curled up in her arms, a pout on my face. "I wanna go! They have such amazing light shows at night!"

"Baby, if you're going to act like a child then I'm going to treat you like one." Lauren replied, gazing down at me lovingly as if she was a scolding mother.