Chapter 12: Write to Me Your Nightmares

XII. 

"Camila Cabello... are you fucking kidding me?"

The moment Lauren got no more than three paragraphs in, she knew this was going to take far longer than a few hours. Camila was going to have to tough it out alone for the rest of the day.

There are four elements that the past has deemed the world to be based on. The past is a bunch of garbage. If you ask me, there should be five.

Lightning is special.

In Greek mythology, Zeus was the sky and thunder god. In Hindu mythology, the god of weather was known as Indra. In Norse mythology, the god Odin was known as the sky god, as well as the god of war and death. One of his four sons, Thor, was the god of thunder, lightning and storms.

But even past simple mythology, lightning, and to a greater extent, electricity, has a place in human history as well. Franklin. Edison. Volta. Faraday. Galvani. People across time have committed their lives to using lightning in its most pure, natural state to push the world forward into new discoveries. I would say that's a bunch of garbage too, but fear being chased down and lectured to by more than one science buff.

I wonder what it would feel like to get struck by lightning. The feeling of getting cooked in a microwave, or stung by a bee from the inside out. Maybe it's like getting punched in the back of the head, or being paralyzed so everyone around you can for three seconds, see your skeleton. It must be a shock, to experience a numbing pain like that. I wouldn't be against the idea, just as long as I get to live through it. There's no point in having a little fun if you can't tell your friends about it afterwards, right?. That should be the label on every cheap vodka bottle across the country...

Lauren closed the book, resting her head in her hands. None of it made sense. It sounded like an essay; like Camila had been bored, and had decided one afternoon to spit out whatever she thought she knew about a random topic. Lauren wasn't even sure if the facts she had just written were accurate.

Shawn reappeared a few seconds later with two glasses of sunny orange juice in his hands. "How's it going?" He asked, setting them down on the patio. "I wasn't sure what you liked, so I just brought juice. It's local."

"Thanks." Lauren smiled. "I guess it's alright. You were totally right though, I have no idea what's going on."

"It's all a mystery." Shawn seated himself on the grass. "But whenever I would ask Camila about it, she would insist that it all meant something. She wouldn't say what, but it was something."

Lauren re-opened the book, while Shawn dug around for another and flipped it open, assuming a similar position.

Everything can be disputed. It doesn't matter the amount of evidence, or hard facts that exist in this world because every opinion has two sides. There are people that don't believe the Bible is the word of God. There are people who don't believe that bisexuality exists, or that man walked on the moon. There are people who don't believe Hitler died, or that the earth is round. I mean how do planes land on a circular earth, right?

There are skeptics everywhere, people who will fight the beliefs of society because they have equal, if not more passion within them. But is that really a bad thing? Here's an example. Within the 21st century, one of the most widely accepted global issues is the deterioration of the earth due to rising temperatures. Climate change.

More than one quarter of Americans will blatantly refuse climate change, and for a long list of different reasons. Some don't notice the weather changing. Others don't understand the science behind it. There are even some who strongly believe that there's a god in control, and nothing of the sort could happen for as long as this is the case. Sure, the majority of those you ask will disagree, and argue that all three excuses above are complete bullshit.