Chapter 37: A New Fire

XXXVII.

Warmth. My hypothesis from the night at Disneyworld was growing, as was my love for the blanketed girl before me.

"Please show me!" I called into the darkness, getting up and praising a deity I didn't believe in that my ankle had recovered. "C'mon, I can do it I just need you to slow down and teach me how!"

Whether I was asleep or awake was no longer important. The figure I was chasing was moving the a pace identical to mine, slowing when I did, and speeding up as well. There was a cloak of bright blue light around her, indicating through the darkness that her height and build were also identical.

Just as they were every time I saw her.

"Please wait!" I called, reaching out and just narrowly missing a shadow mass that took the form of a tree trunk. "I need your help!"

Fatigue caused me to slow my pace, something clicking in my head when I realized that she was doing the same. I came to a breathy stop, placing my hands on my knees and feeding oxygen back into my lungs.

"I just want to talk." I panted. "Please..."

The figure turned around, and I found myself face to face with my mysterious doppelgänger. I hadn't seen her this clearly since our stop in Louisville, but her appearance had slightly changed. Rather than the standard crop top, the girl now donned a black leather jacket that cut above her navel and a pair of matching jeans. She wore nothing underneath but a black sports bra, all the dark colours highlighting the muscles in her stomach. There was a small silver chain around her neck, but the design was indiscernible from my distance.

"What do you want to talk about?"

Eyes wide, I looked up at her. "You can talk?"

"Yeah. I'm talking to you, aren't I?" She replied, folding her arms over her chest.

"Yeah, of course." I nodded. "I just didn't know that you did as well. That last few times I've seen you, you haven't really been all that chatty."

"Neither were you." The mirror image of me grinned as the light around her shimmered in a stunningly blind fashion. "As long as you can talk, I can talk. I don't know if you've noticed yet, but you and I are pretty similar."

"Yeah, I noticed that, smart ass." I muttered, straightening up and taking a few paces towards her.

"So what do you want?"

I want to know who you are." I explained, holding my hands out to signal that I was no threat. "And why I keep seeing you whenever I close my eyes."

The girl broke out into a smile as the light that covered her blazed up and swirled around her body. "I could ask you the same thing. Do you have an answer for me if I did?"

"No." I scratched my head, watching the mysterious light show. "Okay, I guess that's fair. Can you at the very least show me how you do that with your lightning? You look like me, but you can control your power so much better than I can."

"Of course I can." The doppel-Camila lifted her hands, and the light dimmed down until only the girl's left arm was covered in electricity. "It's always just come naturally to me, but I'm not a good teacher, so you probably should ask someone else."

"Oh come on." I protested. "You're me. Just give it a try, please?"

"Fine." The girl rolled her eyes, taking a few paces towards me. "My only advice is to keep that bandage on your arm at all times, change it every once and a while so it doesn't get too gross though."