Chapter 64: Reversal (Final)

LXIV.

"You know it was clever and cute. Shut up and leave me my pride."

Lauren spent the following day in what felt like the world's worst hangover. Constant butterflies in her stomach mixed with nausea she couldn't shake and a throbbing headache weren't doing any good for her concentration, much less her social skills.

She and the others girls were busy helping Camila pack, while reminiscing and pondering their adventures in the past, and the ones that were to come. The news of Camila's departure had gone over well, the others understanding and sympathizing with Lauren's declaration that together, they would never be enough to properly bring the most out of the little lightning bolt.

"No." Lauren heard Dinah reply firmly when Camila asked if she wanted everything to remain the same until her upcoming eighteenth birthday. "The sooner you leave Mila, the sooner you'll come back."

Lauren watched the pain cross Camila's face as she accepted her friend's response, and finished up the packing process in the early afternoon. The girl then left for some time to speak to her family, giving Sofi the news and discussing the steps forward.

"So what made you change your mind?"

Lauren glanced to the left to see Normani was sitting on the arm of the couch, her sock feet atop the cushions. "What do you mean?"

"You seemed upset yesterday when she told us about the offer." The girl clarified, folding her arms over her knees. "You seem better now. Did something change your mind?"

Lauren sighed, leaning back against the pillows and looking out the massive window to the balcony. "The way I feel about her isn't important." She replied to her friend. "This is about her needing some time away from everything, some time with her family, and most importantly, some time to properly accept her body's mutation." The girl then looked back over to the couch arm. "I had the training I needed, and I still lost complete control that night. I hurt all of you, and I don't want that happening ever again."

"That might not be completely fair." Normani slid down to her side. "Emotions were running really high. You lost someone in the field that you loved."

Looking away, Lauren got to her feet and headed towards the balcony exit, stepping out into the fresh air.

"I'm sorry." Normani was nearby again, standing in the doorframe. "I didn't mean to—"

"No, it's not you." Lauren glanced behind her, a soft smile on her face. "I don't know... I just think about all of this, and my stomach starts to hurt."

"It's anxiety." Normani assumed her place at Lauren's side, the two girls standing shoulder to shoulder. "You're losing someone else you love, it's just the way your body is reacting."

"Well I wish it would stop." Lauren gripped the balcony rail in frustration, feeling a hand come down on her shoulder.

"Hey, remember when we were young and we would sit out on the grass together?"

The girl looked up. "What?"

"Oh come on, your memory isn't that bad." Normani joked. "You and I, back when we were younger. We would find each other in the gardens, and sit down to stare up at the sky. It was gross, just a musty grey covered in fog, but we always did it anyway."

Lauren granted her friend a small smile at the memory. "I do remember that."

"Mmhm." The girl nodded, looking out to the bustling city below. "We would always just sit and wonder if there really was anything past those skies. You would always insist the answer was yes, but I was a bit more skeptical. You were stubborn though, you rarely took no for an answer."