Chapter 50: Aggression

L.

She turned and crept out of the room, closing the door behind her with a faint click. I yawned, cracking open the spine of the fresh journal and laying it out in my lap. The fresh pages were reminiscent of so many things, and the moment I pressed the tip of the pen to the first line, I couldn't stop.

My recovery went well, as over the course of the next day or so the physical pain became less and less. Things didn't get much easier in terms of my head however, for no matter how long I spent trying to write away this reality, it just didn't happen. It was an understatement to say that no matter how hard I tried I couldn't tear my mind away from Lauren.

I hated her, and I hated how she treated everyone, but at the same time, I hated not knowing where she was or what she was doing.

One dreary afternoon, Normani knocked on the door of my room, letting herself in before I could say a word. She was geared up, looking like she had either just come from, or was ready to go on a patrol. In her hand was my knife.

"Hey, how are things?" The girl asked, gripping the weapon in both hands and trying to separate the blades.

"They're okay I guess." I slid to the edge of the bed. "What are you doing here? And how did you get those?"

"Shawn found them out when we were out bringing you back. They were covered in blood so I gave them a little bit of a clean. They're good to go now." The girl replied, frowning when they wouldn't detach. "I'm not sure how to get them apart though, how the heck do these things work?"

"It's okay, it takes a little bit of a shock, you might want to take some balloons and rub them on your head or something." I nodded. "Speaking of Shawn, is he alright?"

"He's doing better than you are." Normani granted me a light smile. "But you're recovering, and that's why I'm here."

"Yeah? Did you mosey over to my room so you could kick me when I'm down?"

"More or less." Normani chuckled. "Come on, get your butt up and lets head down lower. There are a few things I want to show you today, none of them include moping around the room and writing that novel of yours."

"It's not a novel Mani." I emphasized, shuffling off the bed. "It's a journal."

"Same thing Mila." Normani smirked. "Let's go. Hustle."

I followed her closely as we made a sharp right turn and meandered further down the halls. I kept my eyes on the floor, noticing that Normani hadn't left my weapon in the room, and was still holding it in her dominant hand. "So what are we going to do?" I asked, sliding my hands into the pockets of my pants and gazing up at her. Normani stood just an inch or two taller than me, but it was more than enough to make me look like the child and her look like an impatient mother.

"We're going to do some light training. Nothing too intense, there are just a few things I know that I think you'd benefit from learning."

I frowned. "You think I'm still trainable? I thought everything that I could possibly learn, I've already learnt."

"Pfft." Normani made a rather animated puffing noise with her lips. "Don't flatter yourself Sparky. You've got a lot to learn still, my goal from here on out is to make sure the next time you come face to face with Lauren, you're able to fight her on equal grounds. In fact, we're going to get you to a point where you're able to kill her."

"Hey, just a small request. Can we maybe not talk about my runaway, flight risk, "just vanished after telling me she never loved me" girlfriend?" I asked her, eyes still on the weapon. "Let's find something else to talk about."