Chapter 63: Even When We're Not Together

LXIII.

She curled her body protectively around Sofi and summoning whatever power she had to filter out the bad dreams. Somehow it worked, and Lauren ended up with one of the most blissful, guilt free slumbers she'd had since her time in the forest.

The morning came, and Lauren blinked awake only to see a glittering pair of familiar brown eyes looking at her.

"You sleep a lot." Sofi teased, going up on her knees and shaking Lauren's shoulders. She had changed out of her outfit from the previous night, and now wore a set of pink pyjamas; a tank top and matching shorts.

"You were up so late." Lauren yawned. "How on earth did you wake up before me? Where do you get all your energy from?"

"My Dad says I'm full of endless energy." Sofi replied, giggling as she fell back against the pillows. "Like a bolt of lightning."

Glancing over, Lauren saw an image of Camila standing in the middle of the broken town, sharp golden lightning searing from her body and illuminating the area. "I bet you are." She smiled softly before heaving herself up out of bed. "Alright, let's get up and make some breakfast. We should also think about cleaning up that living room before your sister gets back."

"Can we make some pancakes? I saw ingredients for batter in the cupboard last night."

"Is that what you feel like?"

"Yeah." Sofi nodded. "I'll help you make them."

"That'd be great, thank you." Lauren stretched, yawning yet again. "Wow, your sister never offered to help cook."

"Yeah, that's cause she can't cook." Sofi teased, heading out into the hall. Lauren followed, chuckling to herself as the young girl quickly started neatening up the living room by readjusting some of the pillows.

When breakfast was made and eaten, the living room was vacuumed, everything was folded and the morning was halfway gone, there was a knock at the door. Sofi jogged over and pulled it open, not before Lauren gave her the okay nod.

"Camila!" She stepped back, just before getting scooped up into a massive hug.

"How did the two of you do last night? Did everything go okay?"

"Yeah, we had a lot of fun." Sofi draped her arm over her sister's shoulder. "Lauren brought me down to the beach, and we stayed up really late. It was okay though, I went to sleep right after that."

"Ah, did she?" Camila glanced over, lifting an amusement eyebrow and shaking her head. "I'm not terribly surprised, she's never really done well with following directions."

***

"But look." Lauren opened her arms. "We made breakfast, and cleaned the apartment before you came home. Doesn't that count for something?"

"I guess." I grinned at her, setting Sofi down and grabbing the pink backpack that sat by the door. "Alright, Dad's waiting for you downstairs, you should go meet him before he starts to get fidgety."

"Alright." Sofi took the bag and slung it over her shoulder. "Lauren, will I see you again?"

"Of course."

Giving her a broad smile accompanied by a wave, Sofi turned and headed out the door. Hovering for only a moment, I closed it behind her and stepped into the apartment, tossing her car keys off into the bowl.

"So she was alright?" I then asked Lauren a second time, eager to make sure. "She behaved?"

"Of course." Lauren smiled. "She was great. A lot like you actually."