Chapter 58: This is What it Takes

LVIII.

A/N: Remember Lauren never got the chance to hear Shawn sing.

***

You understand now what it means to fight for the things you love. To give your all to someone and ask for nothing in return.

Lauren was left on the ground, uncomfortable and nervous at Camila's sudden aggression towards Normani's attempt to stop her. Suddenly, she was surrounded by the others, offered multiple arms as a means back up to her feet.

"She's not serious." Dinah muttered, backing up as Lauren accepted Ally's offered hand and gathered her balance. "That girl is just one mystery after another."

"I think she is serious." Normani replied, placing a hand on Lauren's shoulder, emanating an extreme sense of comfort. "Think about it... Camila was right. The ability to give your all to someone and not ask for anything in return... that's the mark of a true leader. That's why I decided to relinquish every semblance of control I had to her. Over the fledglings at least."

"But that's still no reason to even consider leaving Lauren here." Dinah argued. "That's not the mark of a true leader. Leaving one of your friends behind, especially a friend who..." She glanced over at Lauren, who turned away.

"Lauren, maybe to you..." Ally looked at Lauren, squeezing the hand she was still holding. "Camila doesn't see herself as a leader. She sees herself as an equal. Maybe she's asking for a fight because she wants to test your strength."

"But Camila already knows she can't defeat her." Dinah questioned. "And she doesn't believe in running into a fight when the only way it can end is with death. How would that make any sense?"

"Not her strength." Ally lifted an eyebrow at the blonde, the corner of her lip turning up into a small smirk. "Lauren's strength. Maybe she wants to see just how far you're willing to go."

The moment the words left Ally's lips, Lauren's back straightened and her green gaze flew wide.

What if everything began to change, would you still be here with me? How far are you really willing to go?

"I need to get some sleep." Lauren ran her fingers through her hair, pulling the jet black locks to the side. "The rest of you should do the same."

"What are you going to do tomorrow morning?" Normani asked, stepping aside to let the girl make her way to the semi-blocked exit. "Are you going to meet Camila?"

"I haven't decided." Lauren rubbed her eyes. "This isn't the conversation I expected to have when I walked into this room."

"Understandable." Normani shrugged. "You probably don't want to stay with her tonight, I had a room made up for you this morning."

"Thanks." Lauren nodded at her friend. "I appreciate it." After a moment of hesitation, she turned towards the door. Her next sentence was genuine, the single most heartfelt and honest thing the green eye girl had managed to conjure up for as long as she had been back with her friends.

"I'm sorry you guys... for everything that I've put you through."

***

Traversing through the hallway, Lauren found the door to the room Normani had described and pushed the door open. She was greeted to a rush of cool, stale air, denoting that the room hadn't been used in some time. Lighting a candle and closing the door, she pulled off her top and fell back against the bed, arms splayed out like a pathetic, flightless bird.