Chapter 39: The Invasion Part II

XXXIX.

Trigger Warning: Graphic imagery

Of all the weirdos that the giant magnet in Florida tended to attract on a daily basis, she happened to be the only one I could see.

"I always do."

"Alright, now that we've all arrived." Normani started, glancing across the room at Lauren and I with a look of interest mixed with annoyance. "I'm going to take some time and brief the evening."

When the two of us arrived at the front of the room, my stomach did a one eighty as I was lifted up on a block of ice that had a nearly non-existent coefficient of friction. Lauren chuckled behind me as I slipped and landed on my ass, confused as the block rose from the ground until we towered above the crowd, but below Normani. Clearing her throat, the born leader stepped forward. "Those who have been working with me will leave first. As a group, your goal is to take down whatever blockades might be waiting for us. You're all familiar with the ins and outs of the area, so do whatever you can to space yourself out."

Ally took a small step forward next. "My med team will move out next. Stay out of harms way, and only advance into potential danger if there's a teammate in need of treatment. You guys are fast, so use that to your advantage."

There were some murmurs of agreement from the crowd.

"And finally." Normani glanced over at me, obviously awaiting my own inspirational speech.

"Right." I flattened my eyebrows and grabbed onto Lauren's outstretched hand to pull myself up. "First you need to tell me how I'm supposed to keep my balance on this thing."

"Feet shoulder-width apart." Normani informed me. "Arms stay down by your sides, and keep your weight on the balls of your feet."

Doing as instructed, I teetered backwards before Lauren's arms wrapped themselves around me to keep me steady. "Oh screw this." I muttered after a few seconds of fumbling around. I glared down at my two left feet, lit my arm up to the elbow and brought it down, slicing the block clean in half. Lauren squeaked in surprise as she landed on the ground again, the two of us surrounded by large glistening chunks of snow capped ice. "Everyone with me knows what to do." I continued, shivering at the sudden drop in temperature. "Let's just get this show on the road."

"Really?" Normani landed on the ground as well, the cold intensifying as the ice crumbled away and vanished into the air. "You couldn't have just stayed up there for a minute more?"

"You know, I figured I'd rather stand on the ground the way feet were meant to be used, rather than slipping and sliding around like a penguin." I shot back, curling up lip up at her. "You guys know to stay behind me." I then addressed my new friends. "And follow the light from my blade."

"Behind you?" Normani frowned as Ally jumped to the ground as well. "Why would you send them out behind you? The point is for them to pave the way for Lauren."

Glancing back into a pair of green eyes, I saw Lauren was smiling at her friend. Slowly, she trailed her hand down my arm and placed it over mine, and the lightning cloaking the knife lit up to a brightness double what it had been. Ally was watching us with an impressed smirk.

"A good leader uses their strength to pave the way for their followers." I grinned, pointing the knife at her. "Now shall we begin? Or are you going to keep us waiting any longer?"

***

It was enchanting to watch the entire underground population move through the trees like jumping spiders on hot cement. Normani had followed through on her word and was storming ahead, while I led the group of ex-fledglings behind me only a few paces back. Above us all was a moon so large that I could have sworn I was locked in a dream; it's deep red hue the epitome of the word supernatural.