Chapter 15: Twisted

XV. 

Trigger warning - talk of abuse/homocide

"So yes. I do know how much you love me." I turned my head and let her lips lock to mine; the characteristic sweetness doing its job in washing every other thought away.

"And I love you too."

Telling Lauren everything I did was a feeling akin to lifting an anvil off of my chest cavity. I woke the next morning feeling fresh, ready to get going and clash with whatever chaos the day was sure to bring. I began by heading to school with a tray of to-go coffee cups, each matching the orders of my beloved yet annoying friends. When everything was distributed, I then sat through three classes and an early birthday cupcake before getting cornered by Shawn and forced into a talking-to.

"Okay, first tell me you're feeling better."

I shrugged. "I am."

"Great. Now there's this comic book store downtown that's having a costume contest. The prize is five hundred dollars, and I know that if we enter you as wonder woman, we can't lose."

I blinked at him a few times, then turned and started to walk away without another sound.

"Camila wait!" Shawn dashed forward behind me and clambered for my arm. "Okay, just hear me out. It's only two hours, you don't need to say anything, just show up and look pretty."

"No."

"Please? You've got the pretty part down, all you really need to do is show up. Oh, if you want we can do Disney princesses. You would make a fantastic Jasmine."

"No."

"Oh come on, a few days ago you said you'd do anything for me."

I looked at him, a glint of amusement in my eye. "Shawn, you're right. I would do anything for you..."

"Yeah?" His face brightened.

"Yeah." I nodded. "Except for that."

"Camila!" The boy broke out into a whine again. "Come on, it'll be fun!"

"No."

Shawn began to follow me as I made my way down the hall and towards the school's exit. "Maybe Lauren would help me. Do you think?"

I laughed. "Unless you somehow make that Y chromosome magically change into an X, I think you're going to be out of luck." I informed him, recalling just how savage Lauren had been towards that flirting boy. "But you could always ask. You know, just for fun."

"Ugh." Shawn and I made our way out of the school and towards the parking lot. The day was quickly passing, and I was looking forward to a relaxing Friday night with not a word pertaining to school. With him stretched out in the back and Dinah with her feet on the dashboard beside me, we followed roads into the underground parking and unloaded our things.

"So what are we going to do for your birthday Camila?" Dinah asked, pulling her bag over her shoulder. "Are we going to go out on the town and experience everything Miami has to offer?"

"Like what, the raging sun and gross little lizards that get stuck under the wheels of your bike?" I said, grinning at her. "No. For my birthday, I'm going to sit on my couch in a pair of yoga pants and a tank top. I'm going to pull the waist of the pants up over my stomach fat and use it as a table for a big ass bowl of chips and salsa. Then I'm going to turn on the TV, and watch classic Disney channel original movies until my eyes are dry."

My friends both turned to me, looks of confusion on their faces. I just proceeded to smile sweetly and walk past them, entering the lobby and heading to the elevators.