Chapter 38: The Invasion Part I

XXXVIII.

Born without a family and stripped of all social necessities, this girl wasn't even a teenager yet and she already had her beliefs laid out so perfectly before her. I was beginning to wonder whether the real power that came from such a twisted world wasn't the fistfuls of ice and the flying knives, but the beliefs instilled, and the simple words of agreement that spread like a new fire.

"So what do you say?" Normani asked, returning to the middle of the room and turning to Lauren. "We'll begin preparations tomorrow morning, everyone who's physically able to fight will do so."

Lauren sat back down leaning forward with her shoulders hunched forward and elbows balanced on her knees. "I don't know...

"Hey..." I stepped over and placed my hand on her shoulder. "There's no reason why we can't do this on our own. That was the original plan, we can still follow it through." I turned slowly and glared at Normani. "This way, more innocent lives will be saved than lost."

"Your chance of success will only increase with our help." Normani countered with a deep glare of her own. "Stop being so foolish."

"I'm not being foolish." I scoffed. "I'm being considerate. No part of me wants to see people like that girl get shot in the head!"

"Oh, like the way you almost did? That girl would never be so idiotic as to make the same mistakes as you, and besides, what you want is irrelevant!" Normani's voice rose. "You're a nosy teenager who stuck her nose where it doesn't belong, this has nothing to do with you!"

"This has everything to do with me!" I shouted back, closing the fist of my left hand and causing a flash of light cloak my skin just the way I had been taught within the depths of my psyche. I grabbed the edge of the bandage and tore it, causing the rest of the cloth to begin to unravel around my arm until it fell loosely to the ground. Electricity instantly began to crawl into the rest of my body, and I felt much stronger than I had mere moments ago.

"Camila, enough." Ally held her hands up. "None of that right now, it's too late for this."

"No, let her do it." Normani grinned as the air around us began to grow cold. "She talks so big, yet still has pathetic control over this power. Come on sparky, the two of us have yet to face off in a proper match."

"I'm game." I yanked the remainder of the bandage off my arm and tossed it to the ground. "Let's play."

"Enough!" Lauren shot up from her chair and thrust both arms out to either side of her body, sending Normani flying backwards, and myself the same until we both hit the opposite walls and slid to the ground. I groaned, my head spinning and body experiencing the typical aftereffects of Lauren's repulsive fields.

"You two need to stop acting like children, and just quit arguing all the time." Ally told us, her voice bouncing off the walls as she stood next to Lauren and somehow looked just as menacing. "The four of us need to work together if we want this partnership to succeed."

"Ally's right." Lauren's voice was cold. "As usual. Normani, I think that if this is what your fledglings desire, then I'm not going to be the one to deny them of anything. I'll do whatever I can to protect as many as possible. Camila will as well, but I can't guarantee that there won't be any casualties."

Normani nodded, seemingly satisfied.

"Wake me when you begin preparations tomorrow." The green eyed girl continued. "That's all."

"Come on Mani. We're going to need to start dividing everyone up." Ally took the girl's wrist and gave her a gentle tug, doing so until both girls were out of the room.