Chapter 26: The Aftertaste

XXVI. 

"You've been on your own in this crazy world for eighteen years Lauren Jauregui, and every minute of it has been nothing but chaos." I murmured, my lips mere centimetres from hers. "Well you aren't alone anymore. I'm here with you now."

All the early memories locked within Lauren revolved around a room. It wasn't too large, not too small either; just enough to provide shelter for a single person and no others. This room was a perfect square in shape, the walls painted a pale yellow which proved relaxing on the eyes. There were no windows in this room; instead it was equipped with two harsh white lights that mimicked the effect of sunshine. At least to a certain extent. This room was her home. The four walls of this room held all her emotions.

For as long as she could remember, Lauren had always seen darkness. Around her, the air was bleak; the skies were grey, and the only place she could see any trace of colour was on the walls of her bedroom. But it was all okay, because there was a world of angels in her head. In this world, every surface was covered in a field of soft green grass, where each blade was cut to the same size. The skies were blue, clear, and only held clouds when she wanted them to. Lauren might have been alone, but it didn't matter.

That was enough; and it had been enough up until the time when she left. The only thing Lauren could remember was waking up cold and alone in the middle of an unnamed city. It took no more than thirty seconds for a sweet elderly woman to approach her, hold out her hand and help her up. The woman, still unnamed to Lauren's memory nursed her back to health, kindly feigning any and all questions about the young girl's situation.

It was that moment when Lauren learnt kindness. She learnt that not only did people on the outside world care, but they cared so much that they would give up what they had to readily help another. In the dead of the night, Lauren left a thank you note, and assurance that she would find her way before slipping out the front door and vanishing into the unknown. The young teen had no idea why anyone showed the kindness they did, but at the time it had been beside the point.

The cycle would repeat itself, and with every act of kindness the girl witnessed, her grasp on that perfect world would slip away. The blades of grass would grow, and slowly but surely they would reach to block out the sun. Everything fell to darkness, but it still didn't matter because the skies in her waking world were bluer than ever. The smiles Lauren received and knowledge she gained was far more precious than any realm in her head.

And then there was Camila. Camila, with her tropical tanned skin and doe-like brown eyes. Camila had shown Lauren trust, the most precious kindness, and love, the most sought out kind. The moment Lauren had let her roam the dark memories, Camila showed no fear. Instead, the brunette waited and listened, seemingly understanding all the insane ramblings Lauren threw at her.

Camila. So many things about Camila screamed broken, yet with every smile Lauren received, she felt herself gain more and more confident in their bond. It was a bond that was impossible for anyone to break, and a bond that Lauren prayed she would never have to break herself.

Now, as a bridge between two very different, very dangerous worlds, Lauren was taking a chance by keeping Camila close, and for that reason alone she was no superhero. She knew that a superhero wouldn't hesitate to push away those they love from such danger, to throw themselves forward and step before the barrel of a gun, or blade of a knife. All of these thoughts swam through Lauren's head as she remained still on the damp soil, all the memories that she had worked for years now to push away were now resurfacing.

She felt Camila's fingers press against her cheeks, damp and cold from their earlier encounter. Her chest was heavy, but there was little she could do to change her decision. She needed Camila. She was going to be selfish; she was going to put herself first, to take the young girl and hold her so close that she couldn't be taken away by anyone.