Chapter 34: Winterfall

XXXIV.

Each branch was a path, and each path a different way for this adventure to end.

Lauren insisted that I sleep from then on, but I declined. Rather than arguing, she vanished out of the room and reappeared a few minutes later with a plate that contained a sandwich and a shiny red apple in one hand, and a glass of water in the other. Despite being far too nauseous to have an appetite, I gave in and agreed to take a few small nibbles while she partook in a strict onlooking.

Over the course of the next few minutes, my pain dulled down to a subtle wooziness. Getting something to eat had helped, and now that I wasn't cooped up in a small cold room, my spirits were much higher.

"Lauren." Ally re-entered the room through the main door as I concluded my thoughts. "Our first-in-command would like to see both of you now. Is that alright?"

"It has to be now?" Lauren turned from where she was watching me. "I don't know if you noticed, but Camila isn't really in a state to be accepting visitors."

I placed a hand on her arm, lifting an eyebrow in an attempt to soften her words. I wasn't sure why, but Ally was the last person I wanted Lauren to be snapping at.

"I know." Ally nodded sympathetically. "And I'm sorry for that, but these are her orders."

"Fine." Lauren stepped forward. "But I don't want to do it in here. Can we meet somewhere else?"

"Sure." Ally gestured for her to follow. "Come with me, we'll head out to the main chambers."

"Wait, I want to come." I added quickly, slipping my shirt back on and tugging at the needle in my arm. "Can someone help take this out?"

"Easy there. Let me do it." Ally jogged over and removed my hands from the pulsing injection.

"Are you sure it's okay to do that?" Lauren questioned, turning back to peer at me in concern.

"I feel way better." I told her closing my fists. "I want to meet whoever's in charge of this place too."

"Alright." Lauren held out her hand, and I slowly slid off the table to head over and take it while Ally slipped ahead of us and nodded back to follow. Looking around, I noted that the rest of the hallways looked strikingly similar to my single room, fit with smooth polished cement on the floor and walls as well as dark orange lightning. On the way over, Lauren kept her hand in mine as we followed Ally down the seemingly endless corridor.

"She's just in here." Ally turned around to face Lauren, one hand on the door. "And I want to warn you right away the because you've essentially used our resources to your benefit, there's a good chance she's going to want to test your strength."

"Test my strength?" Lauren lifted an eyebrow. "Yeah, one of the guys mentioned that she was going to end up wanting to do something of the sort."

"That's right." Ally smiled. "You don't have to be worried though, a lot of the time she judges the amount of power she wants to put into a fight based on the strength of her opponent. You should be just fine."

I squeezed Lauren's hand, shooting Ally a smile. "I think Lauren can handle herself."

The shorter girl nodded, gripping the handle to the door and pushing it open. Inside, I figured I would see a single person, but instead came face to face with an entire classroom worth of teenagers. Most of them looked to be around my age, some slightly younger, a few potentially older.

"She's here." Ally announced to the room, causing all eyes to swing over in our direction. Slowly, the sea of people parted, ending in a single dark skinned girl with her back turned to us. I immediately recognized the stranger who had entered my room before Lauren, her slender frame and intimidating nature plenty discernible. She had on her body a tight fitting black top that had large cutouts on the back and sides as well as a matching pair of slim fitting pants. Around her waist was a belt that housed a small blade; nothing too intimidating.