Chapter 55: Farewell, Best Friend

LV.

"I said before that I would step in front of a bus for you." The boy rasped, his eyes shifting to Lauren. "I guess I took the easy way out."

March 5th, 2015

"You fucking asshole!"

The moon was high, gleaming over the school's empty parking lot and casing a number of eerie shadows over the property. Shawn stood in front of me, faced down by a boy a year older than him and in a battle ready stance.

"Dude, relax." My fallout ex was standing with his back to his car, both hands up in defence. "I told her the truth, it's over now okay? This has nothing to do with you, just let it go."

"No." Shawn growled, lunging forward as I stepped back in shock. Hands connecting with his shoulders, he slammed the larger boy back against the car, fist reeling back to release a powerful punch. It never connected though, as before he could inflict any damage, Austin's own body weight smashed against Shawn, sending him to the ground and pinning him there.

"You're an idiot." The larger boy growled. "Getting yourself into fights you can't win."

"Get off him!" I reached forward with every intention of taking Austin's arm and pulling him up, but he took a blind swing in my direction, and his forearm connected hard with my stomach, forcing a cough and sending me staggering back in shock. Shawn's eyes flashed with anger, and he kneed the larger boy in the groin before sliding out from under him and slamming him to the ground.

"Fucking bastard!" He hissed, connecting a clean punch against Austin's face and stemming a strangled cry.

"Dude, get the fuck off me, what are you, in love with her or someth—"

He was cut off by another swing of Shawn's fist, harder this time. Austin's eye was turning blue, and there was a trickle of blood running down his lip.

"Shawn..." I murmured, stepping back in shock.

"You don't deserve her, you never did!" He shouted, ignoring me and punching the football player a third, then fourth time. "You're a fucking scumbag, you deserve to rot in hell!"

"Shawn!" My voice rose and I stepped forward, grabbing his arm. "That's enough, stop!"

"I bet you know a thing or two about rotting in hell you queer piece of shit." Austin sneered, send a fist upwards into Shawn's jaw before grabbing him by the neck and slamming him to the ground. He then rose, his foot connecting with the younger boy's face and eliciting multiple bloody wounds. The moment Shawn struggled to his feet, another fist flew at his face, this one with all of the football players body weight behind it. I watched as he flew to the ground, his eye now turning a deep purple, and blood dribbling down his chin.

Backing up, I looked around the dark lot for some source of help, but there wasn't a soul in sight.

"Go to hell." Shawn spat a mouthful of blood to the ground before advancing, ducking to avoid another blow to the face and wrestling the larger boy back to the cement, throwing all of his weight into a number of savage hits straight to his face. Each one was enunciated with a sickening thud.

A few seconds in, a strangled gurgle erupted from Austin, and out of pure terror I rushed forward and grabbed Shawn by the arms, yanking him backwards. He fell at my feet, struggling up to his knees and peering at the mess he had made. Austin lay on the pavement, bleeding and beaten to the point where he could barely move.

I weaved around Shawn, crouching by my ex and placing a hand on his arm. "Get up." I urged. "It's over, just get up."

A few seconds later, Austin was on his feet, spitting blood with a look of pure disgust on his face. "Dump him Camila." He spat, narrowed eyes trained on Shawn. "He's got no control, he's no better for you than I am."