Chapter 49: Ashes

XLIX.

"You can't be afraid." Lauren told me, leaning the back of her head against the shower wall and ensuring her wounds didn't come in contact with the tile. "We're getting close now, so things are going to start getting more and more intense."

"Even more?" I asked, running my hands through my hair and letting the hot water stream down my body. I faced the shower head, while Lauren stood a foot or so away.

"Far more." I felt her fingers dance idly at my hip. "You can't be afraid of death Camz. From here on out, you need to fight so hard that you're willing to kill. Or worse."

I shuddered, wrapping my arms around my own torso, still facing away from her. "I don't know Lauren..."

"I do." Lauren placed her hands over mine, still at my waist. "Camila, everything that you've accomplished until now will pay off, I promise."

I turned around to face her, my voice more timid than I had intended for it to be. "I don't want to split up from you anymore, alright?"

"But you did so well."

"I know." I wrapped my arms around her and snuggled close, the water between us incredibly soothing. "But I still don't like it. We're better together."

"It's true." Lauren's hands trailed down to my sides, the pads of her thumbs gliding over my stomach. "None of my plans involve leaving you Camz, I promise."

She promised. None of her plans involved leaving me. We were better together.

"Goddamn you're getting so strong."

"Thanks to you." I grinned, tightening my stomach muscles and releasing an internal cheer when I heard her breath hitch.

Thank you Camila. For everything.

***

Shawn signalled to Jason only moments after he watched his best friend vanish up the hatch to the outside. "I'll get Ally, you grab Dinah and Normani." He told the boy. "Make sure to knock first, they'll probably kill you if you walk in on them."

"Right." Jason shuddered. "Yeah I really don't think getting killed is worth that." The duo split up, both taking off into a dash down the hallways.

Shawn stopped first at the infirmary and rapped a few times on the door. "Ally!"

"What's going on?" Ally pulled the door open, giving him a light smile. "Is everything okay?"

"Lauren's just vanished. Camila just went to find her, but I have a feeling she's going to need help. Are you good to go?"

"Wait, Lauren's gone?" Ally backed into the room, bumping the door open. "Just like that? No goodbye, no chance for us to stop her? No warning?"

"None." Shawn gestured for the girl to hurry. "C'mon, we don't have much time."

Slinging a bag of supplies over her shoulder, Ally nodded briskly, following Shawn out into the hallway and nearly crashing into Jason, Normani and Dinah all at the same time. The girls looked like they had gotten comfortable in their typical black shirts and sweats, but had thrown overtop a high collared black jacket, more of which they carried with them. Shawn received his, pulling the article over his shoulders and loving how much he looked like a spy.

"She's an idiot." Normani muttered, hurrying to the front of the group and motioning for Dinah to follow.

"She's in love." Dinah replied, gesturing for Ally to follow. "Shawn, did she tell you where they were going to be?"