Chapter 42: Blades of Mercy

XLII.

The best part of my life was lying curled in my arms, her breath raising goosebumps against my neck. That small flame had been blown out, and the darkness it left behind was soothing.

My recovery from the fourteen day coma occurred at a considerably decreased rate than the recoveries in the past. I found my body acting rather slow and lethargic, limbs frequently tired and with low energy. More than once I found myself sitting on on small chunks of Normani's training sessions with Dinah just for fun; it didn't take many of said sessions to recognize that there was a spark between them.

I wasn't sure how to feel about it. Equally as relevant, I wasn't sure about whether or not Dinah should even be getting training sessions.

"Hey Lauren?" I asked, stepping into the bedroom to see her sitting crosslegged on the bed, making small forcefields appear in her palms.

"What's up?"

"Have you been noticing something... between Dinah and Normani?"

"I don't know." The girl shrugged. "What do you mean by something, like Shawn and his video games something? Or like you and I something?"

"Like you and I something." I clarified, closing the door carefully. "Like... are really happy, smiley, casual friends that occasionally see each other naked something."

"Camz I don't think anyone's ever going to have a you and I something." Lauren shrugged again. "But I don't know,. I haven't really spent much time with the two of them. They have been hanging around here together though."

"I don't know how to feel about that." I mumbled, climbing up on the bed next to Lauren as she pat the space beside her. "What do you think?"

"As long as they're happy, I'm happy." Lauren shrugged for the third time, looking down and putting all her attention on poking and prodding at her fingernails. "I know you're not crazy about Normani, but it shouldn't be too hard to be happy for Dinah."

"I know." I took her hands, diverting her attention partly for her own good, mostly for my personal annoyance with people who picked their nails. "And I promise you I'm trying my hardest to like Normani, and I think I'm getting better at it, it's just hard. We're different people."

"Don't worry Camz." Lauren reached up and brushed my cheek. "I appreciate you doing that, thank you."

"If they start being a thing, and Dinah get hurt because of it though..."

"Oh Camila." Lauren was smiling. "I think that can worry about crossing that bridge when we come to it."

A knock at the door sounded, and both of us looked up. Lauren began to get up, stopping when I placed a hand on her knee and did so myself, pulling it open to see a familiar face standing on the other side. Jade, one of the younger fledglings that I had commanded stood with her hands behind her back.

"H..hi Camila." Jade smiled, her pretty blue eyes sparkling when she looked up at me.

"Hey." I grinned back. "Jade, how are you?"

"I'm good." The girl nodded. "We've all been training hard, and when Ally let us know that you had woken up, we all wanted to head right down here to say hi and thank you for saving us. They sent me alone though, cause I had something special to show you. But um... how are you?"

"I'm good sweetie, thank you." I leaned against the doorframe, revealing Lauren sitting on the bed behind me.

"Hi Lauren." Jade waved upon seeing her, the girl offered a kind wave back.