Chapter 61: Illuminate

LXI.

I had been right. This girl was different.

And she was finally back where she belonged.

I woke late the following morning, the sun well at it's peak in the sky, and apartment completely empty. Sitting up and looking around, I immediately noticed the ache on my stomach, the closed up wounds that covered my body still had a little time to go before they were made into proper scars.

"No cut-off tops today." I muttered with a light sigh, untangling myself from the covers and getting up wearily. Looking around the apartment, I was relieved to see there wasn't a huge amount changed, especially since I was sure that Lucy had helped herself to whatever she could find.

Lucy.

The name had sufficiently haunted me ever since I had watched her fall away into the blackness. The awful sound of her body hitting the rock below didn't do much to help my frustration, nor the photo that she had given me at the very last minute.

I can't afford to live tonight. Take this Camila, and promise me you'll kill her.

Before we had departed, I had slid the polaroid into the front pocket of my backpack, along with Jason's pendant and my freshly polished blades. The realization had struck the moment we stepped form the forest back into the real world that everyone who had been lost during our time there, had given me something to keep.

Stretching, I started off towards the balcony door but was cut short when the front swung open. Lauren barrelled inside, two large paper bags tucked in her arms, and my car keys wedged between her teeth. She wore a pair of small jean shorts and a white tank top that rode up further in the front than it did the back, and a dark pair of sunglasses covered her eyes.

"Hey, you're up. Good." The girl dropped the things in her arms down on the kitchen table, then slid the glasses up so they were perched on her head. "How are you feeling? Still tired?"

"Yeah." I shrugged, sliding my hands into the pockets of my black sweats. "What have you been doing?"

"The girls and I did a little shopping this morning, they were all up pretty early and really excited." Lauren replied, tossing the car keys into the small bowl that sat by the door. "Dinah's family was really thankful and happy to see her, and they already seem to like Normani and Ally. Those two really know how to turn on the charm and say exactly what people want to hear."

I nodded, taking a deep breath.

"They'd really like to see you as well." The girl added. "Everyone is really worried about you Camz, especially now that the news of Shawn's death has gotten around. Both of their families have been spending a lot of time together, I think they've contacted your father as well."

"I'll have to go and see everyone." I nodded. "Did you get some groceries?"

"Yeah." Lauren spun around and returned to the bags. The four of us picked up a few goodies on the way home. And a little something for you as well."

From a smaller bag, Lauren retrieved a small white capsule with a screw off top. It was unmarked an oval shaped, sitting neatly in the inner crease of her palm.

"What's that?"

"It's a single brown lens." Lauren replied, carefully unscrewing the cap and stepping towards me, showing me the capsule. Inside was a single contact lens, and upon it was a dark brown ring that had a number of highlighted patterns that looked like an eye. "We spoke to the on-call opthamologist, and apparently there have been cases where an adult's eye colour can change later in life. Granted it usually happens in relation to some kind of disease or badly planned medication, but it's still possible."