EJ Route 10

It's been four months since meeting Jack and his friends. We started hanging out every once and a while, but then slowly ended up hitting it off and getting along really well. I thought that they were all acting like children in medical school, but honestly I was judging them too harsh. They know that if fun is mixed in with serious studies, learning will be a WHOLE lot easier.

Monica is one of my best friends here now and is constantly telling me that Jack is looking my way. She teases me all the time and tries to set us up. It would have worked if I wasn't so stubborn too. Monica's boyfriend, Brian, was suckered into getting Jack to ask me out on an official date, but Jack always becomes flustered.

Today I am with the group of friends Jack had introduced me to and we are all studying at Jack's house. Monica and Steph are studying terminology, Jason is studying physics, and Brian is studying math because he isn't in medical school but in college.

Jack and I are working on a project for anatomy, quizzing each other while working. We had picked each other for the project because we had both seen the drawings we had on day one. We had a big disagreement on what organ we had to make a 3D model of, with me wanting to make a heart and him wanting to make a kidney.

"Come on~! The heart is the best organ!" I whined to him.

"No, no. The heart is so BASIC. Why do you want to be basic, Y/N?" He jokes to me.

"Why do you want to be creepy, Jack? Kidneys? Really?" I half-yell to him.

"It's a good organ!" He yells back.

"I feel like you like learning about it because you are a future black marketer." I sarcastically say.

"I might, but at least I'll know a lot about it so that I don't hurt anyone!" He responds.

"Oh my- Jack!" I say with a wide open mouth.

"Shut up and make out already!" Monica yells. She looks irritated as she stares down into her book.

We both stare at her and Jack shifts around in his seat as his eyes fall on the ground. I do the same and try to refocus on the task at hand. Because we haven't chosen the topic yet, we don't do much but shuffle some papers and pretend to be doing something.

I glance over to see what Jack was doing, but he was staring off in space, occasionally looking over to Monica and Steph. For a split second I experience jealously, but I don't quite know why.

"We're doing the kidney, by the way. Let's get to work." Jack finally says and starts getting the model started. I nod and just go along with it, letting the atmosphere get colder and colder by the second.

A few hours later, a few sighs later, and a LOT of paper throwing, crumpling, and tears later from Monica, the day finally reaches midnight. Monica and Brian bid goodbye to us as they head back to their apartments as Steph goes to her car to drive back home. Jason, being the slacker he is, stayed a little later and eventually went back to his own house. Jack and I remain in his living room, putting the final touches onto the project before we decide to call it quits.

"Perfect." I say, looking at the kidney model before us.

"Looks too real..." Jack says, staring at our artwork came to life.

I laugh at his comment and pick up the project to set it aside for Monday's class and due date. Jack lays back into the couch and relaxes as I come back to him and sit down on the only free space next to him. He opens his eyes and gives me more space to sit and relax.

I stare at out project on the shelf and lose myself in my mind. Why does Jack have a fascination with it so much? This feels familiar in some weird way, but it might just be my imagination.