• 34: Halloween •

I woke up the next morning to find myself lying on Mason's chest once again. I lifted my body a little and kissed him on the nose. His eyelids fluttered open and he smiled at me.

"Good morning," he said quietly.

"Hi," I replied with a tiny smile. We both lied there staring at each other for a moment before the sound of a pot clattering scared me. I jumped, making me fall off the couch, but with Mason's arms around me, he fell too.

He somehow managed to catch his weight before landing fully on top of me. I started to laugh automatically at the situation and Mason joined in.

"What the heck is going on?" We heard from the doorway to the dining room. Mason got off me and we saw his mom leaning against the wall.

"We were sleeping, and you scared us off the couch with the loud dishes," Mason explained with a chuckle.

"Oops!" Annalise grinned sheepishly. "Well, good morning lovebirds," she teased before heading through the dining room back to the kitchen. My face felt hot and I looked at Mason who was also blushing as he got back up on the couch.

"So, Halloween is on Friday" Mason started.

"Wait, like this Friday?" I gasped getting off of the floor and sitting next to him.

"Yeah, are you excited?" Mason asked.

"Not really... I don't go trick or treating or to parties or whatever," I mumbled. I'd maybe have considered parties if I were ever invited, but Emery and I had our own tradition.

"Lemme guess, horror movie marathon?" Mason smirked. I nodded with a grin. "I knew there was a reason I liked you," he teased. I rolled my eyes but laughed .

"Want to join?" I asked nervously. "Emery and I usually watch them, but I think it would be fun to make a double date out of it."

"That sounds great," Mason said with a reassuring smile. I grinned back and relaxed into the sofa. I picked up one of the game controllers from the side table.

"Okay, now turn this thing on, I'm going to beat you in whatever game you've got."

"We'll see about that," Mason laughed.

***

The rest of the weekend passed by uneventfully. I tried to hang out with Mason as much as possible, wanting to make sure he was okay. Maybe a small part of me was trying to make up for not staying with him that night in the first place.

The week was the same with the exception of school. I did go to track practice, but sat on the bench, not cleared to participate yet.

Friday rolled around quickly and just like that it was the 31st. Halloween.

While I wasn't crazy excited about it, I did wish it was a holiday where I didn't have to go to school. Instead, I straightened my hair, put as much black eyeliner as I could and then pulled on black jeans, a black long sleeved shirt, and a black choker before dragging myself down the stairs to go to school. The hair and makeup were courtesy of Emery's peer pressure throughout the week.

"A makeshift Goth." Mason's voice startled me as I pulled on black combat boots. "Scary," he winked, leaning against the staircase. He was wearing dark jeans, a white t-shirt and a grey, long-sleeved dress shirt over it.

"I won't even lie and say I tried my best," I laughed. "What are you supposed to be?" Mason pulled a retainer case out of his back pocket and opened it.

"A vampire," he said before popping the fake fangs into his mouth. I chuckled.

"You're forgetting the sparkles Cullen," I teased. Mason wrinkled his nose but laughed anyway.

"Let's go get this day over with," he said with a smile

***

When we got to school, Mason and I met Emery and Adam at my locker. I was surprised to see Adam wearing a very similar look to Mason and sporting vampire teeth as well.

"Did you guys plan this?" I asked.

"Maybe..." Mason grinned mischievously. Adam wiggled his eyebrows and Emery and I laughed at the two of them.

"Em, you look fantastic!" I said. She was dressed as Little Red Riding Hood. Her black hair was curled, her stockings tied up, and her makeup done perfectly. She looked perfect. It almost made me wish I had tried a little harder... almost.

"Thank you! So do you," she replied with a grin. "We're still on for tonight, right?"

"Of course!" I nodded. "But, I'm going to have to catch you in class because I just remembered a few questions I have to finish for math!" I exclaimed, turning to run down the hallway.

"Let him know you're still concussed!" Emery yelled behind me. I laughed as I raced around the corner.

Clumsily, I bumped into Kayla who tumbles into Tiffany. I stumbled back from the impact.

"Oh! Sorry!" I said. I might not like them, but I was still polite. Unlike some people...

"I hope you're apologizing for that pathetic costume... that's your everyday attire," Tiffany sneered. I rolled my eyes and gave her outfit a onceover.

A witch hat, a black corset top and a skirt that could pass as a thick belt.

"That's rich coming from the Wicked Witch of the West's sluttier, witchier little sister. What time does the porno shoot begin?" I asked folding my arms across my chest.

"At least I look hot enough to be considered for that. Your ugly little goth look only worked for Wednesday Addams," Tiffany shot back.

"I don't know if I should be more surprised that you feel flattered that you look like you could be on your way to shoot a porno, or that you actually know who Wednesday Addams is," I gasped, speaking slowly as if she was a child. She might as well be with the way she behaved.

"You know what?" Tiffany started.

"No. I don't know what. But, I actually don't care because I have more important things to do than to stand around trading insults with you," I shrugged. Tiffany narrowed her eyes and was about to say something when Kayla spoke up.

"Oh, Tiff, I think your nail polish chipped a bit," she said, making direct eye contact with me. Tiffany glanced down at her hands and I gave Kayla a small smile as I quickly made my exit.

I got to my classroom early enough that the teacher wasn't in the room yet. As I sat down, it took me a moment to realize that Kayla had just helped me. It was odd, especially after the conversation I overheard her having with Tiffany. I frowned and pulled out my math textbook.

I have to be careful with them... I thought to myself. 

Author's Note: Love a cute little Mason and Charlie moment! What do you think Tiffany and Kayla are up to? What do you think might happen next? Comment and tell me! :)