• 50: Barbies •

Dallas likes me? Grabby-handed Dallas Mitchell, the held-back-a-year, popular hockey player likes me? What a joke.

I didn't buy it for a split second. I was so surprised by the amount of nonsense that one statement carried, I almost didn't know how to respond.

"Don't say that," was the first thing that tumbled out of my mouth.

"Why not Strawberry Shortcake?" he asked. I glowered at the nickname.

"Because it's a bloody lie Dallas!" I stood up to continue speaking. "If you liked me, you wouldn't have shown up to our last tutoring session high and drunk off your ass. You would have maybe bothered to at least try to apologize rather than asking me to come back to tutoring like nothing happened. I have far too much to deal with to worry about the next time you're going to grab me and try to make me go out with you when you're intoxicated!" I yelled.

Everyone in the coffee shop was staring at us, and Emery was sitting there both shocked and with a 'that's my best friend' look on her face.

"Charlie, I'm really sorry about that..." Dallas began, but I cut him off.

Boys like him were pathetic and a waste of my time. I wasn't looking for his company. I had an amazing boyfriend, and an awesome best friend. Dallas didn't fit into the picture anywhere.

"No, you're not. You're sorry that Mason showed up, beat your face in and embarrassed you... And rightfully so too!" I stepped closer to him and lowered my voice. "Were you going to take advantage of me like you did Sophia?" The guilt in his eyes told me I'd struck a nerve – maybe he actually did care about her. But he was sick, and I was sick and tired of him. "Shame on you."

I pushed past him and started leaving the coffee shop. I could hear Dallas asking Emery to wait, and I sighed, but I let her listen to whatever he had to say. I just couldn't stand to be in the same vicinity as him anymore.

I waited outside the coffee shop, and when Emery finally came out, her eyes were wild, and she's holding both of our coffee drinks.

"What?" I asked, taking mine from her.

"He said to watch your back. He was part of Tiffany's plan."

***

We went back to Emery's house and I was lost in my thoughts the whole way there, trying to piece together Tiffany's plan.

What could Dallas have had to do with what Tiffany is planning? What could she be planning? Some hostile takeover of my relationship? As if dangling Dallas in front of me was automatically going to make me choose him over Mason?

That didn't make sense to me. I wasn't one to fight over boys, but I really liked Mason and Tiffany was getting on my last nerve. Then there was suddenly Kayla in the mix.

Am I seriously competing with Kayla and Tiffany on top of everything else? I wondered. How would I even begin to –

"What are you thinking about Charlie?" Emery asked as she put some popcorn into her mouth. We were lying on her bed with the bowl in between us.

"I think I might have to try a little harder to compete with the Barbies," I sighed. Emery looked at me in confusion.

"Elaborate?" she asked. I bit my lip hesitantly, as I knew I might regret the next phrase out of my mouth.

"I think I might need you to make me pretty for school..." I said, cuing a very excited squeal.

________

Author's Note: Dallas was a part of Tiffany's plan? Plot twist! Charlie wants to be dolled up? Double plot twist! Let me know what you think!

New chapter coming next week, so stay tuned for more! <3