• 20: Favourite Band •

Dinner passed without too much drama, but it seemed to pass by all too slowly. There was conversation, but it was mostly between the adults.The adults talked about the weather, about a book that Annalise and Linda had both read, about the meal which led to recipes and cooking. All tame enough topics to not stir up too much emotion. When Derek eventually asked Mason how school was, his answer was a strained and dry "fine" without further elaboration. Derek didn't push, and neither did Annalise.

Once dinner was finally over, Mason and I bolted like bats out of hell. I slipped inside my room and picked up my guitar hoping to relax a little. While I knew that situation had nothing to do with me, the tension seemed to sit on my shoulders just enough to want to wind down from it.

I started to play for a bit and soon, there was a light knock on the door.

"Come in," I said. The door opened and Mason leaned on the door frame. He had a small, nervous smile toying on his lips. "Hey. You okay?" I asked. I had wanted to ask right after dinner, but he was in his room before I could even get the first syllable of his name out of my mouth.

"Yeah... I just– can I hang out here for a bit?" he asked quietly. I had assumed he'd wanted to be by himself, but I guessed I was wrong. I smiled and nodded.

"Of course you can," I replied. Mason smiled and left the room. I stared at the door in confusion for a moment, but before I could be confused for too long, he was back holding a sketchbook and a pencil. I smiled and sat back against the wall and patted the bed, motioning him to sit.

As I started strumming the notes of my favourite All Time Low song, Mason sat down at the foot of the bed.

"Therapy," Mason whispered as he sketched. There was a faint smile on his face, which made the corners of my lips twist into a small smile as well.

"I love this song," I said quietly. After a while, I switched to a Marianas Trench song. Mason smiled immediately recognizing it.

"Celebrity Status," he said. I grinned and nodded. I played for a little before switching to another Marianas Trench song. There was a moment of quiet, the sounds of the guitar strings being plucked softly, filling the silence, before Mason looked over at me.

"Alibis." He continued to sketch before glancing up again to see the look of amazement on my face.

"Okay, now, I'm impressed," I said. That was an obscure first album song.

"If this music is your vibe and you live in Vancouver, I think it's illegal to not be a fan of Marianas Trench," Mason explained, making me laugh. I realized that though we played our little questions game, I didn't know as much about him as I'd like to.

"Favourite band?" I asked, putting the guitar aside. I crossed my legs and put my hands in my lap. Mason looked at me and pursed his lips, thinking.

"One does not simply have one favourite band, Ginger," he chided, shaking his head.

"You're right, I'm sorry," I chuckled and nodded. "That was unfair. God forbid anyone ask me that question! I have too many to count. Give me your top five." Mason grinned and began to think again.

"Hmmm... Well, obviously Marianas Trench," he started. "All Time Low, Panic! At the Disco, Mayday Parade, and Paramore are pretty great... oh and Sleeping With Sirens!" Mason added with a chuckle.

"Your taste in music is immaculate," I beamed, making Mason smile. We were quiet for a bit before he closed the sketchbook and turned to face me.

"What's your favourite food?" Mason asked.

"Oh, the question game again?" I responded with a half smile. It was like he read my mind earlier. Mason nodded and grinned. "Okay... mozzarella sticks. I'd trade my Converse for them." He laughed at that. "What about you?" I asked.