• 19: With a Bang •

I woke up to the sound of whispers and hushed giggles. Disoriented, I peeked under my eyelashes through my curly hair and realized I was in the living room. My head was resting on the arm of the couch, but both my legs were in Mason's lap and I could feel his hands resting on my ankles.

Linda and Mason's mom were currently at the door watching us. I shut my eyes fully and focused on their hushed whispers.

"They're so cute!" Linda said.

"They are!" Annalise agreed. "Can I take a picture? Would that be creepy?"

"Yes and yes," Linda replied. "But you can't let them know we took it!" I heard a clicking noise and then muffled giggling, like they had their mouths covered.

"Do you think they're dating yet?" Annalise asked, her tone excited and hopeful.

"No, not yet," Linda started. "It's too soon... Charlie is –" I shifted quickly, not wanting to hear the rest. I was hoping she'd just stop talking out of fear I was waking up, but instead my fast movement resulted in me falling off the couch.

I wasn't sure if Linda, Annalise or I gasped the loudest as I hit the floor. I glanced over at the two of them and gave them a sheepish smile.

"Charlie, are you okay?" Annalise asked. I nodded.

"Oh yeah. I like to start my mornings with a bang," I joked. I heard a chuckle from behind me and I glanced up to see Mason smirking at me from up on the couch.

"Well, that's one way to wake up," he teased as I slid up into the seat next to him. He rested his hand on mine the moment I placed it beside his. I bit back a smile.

"It's unexpected to say the least," Linda added with a grin. Her eyes were trained on our hands and I could hear the double meaning in her tone.

"Well, I wouldn't want to be late for school," I said, letting go of Mason's hand and standing up. 

"Oh right! School! I forgot it was Friday," Mason said getting up. I laughed and slid past Annalise and Linda, with him trailing behind me. I sped towards the stairs, I heard faint chuckles between the two women and then Annalise whisper to Linda about our hands. My face felt hot which only propelled me up the stairs faster.

The moment my foot hit the hardwood floor on the second floor, I turned to Mason.

"They took a photo," I breathed. He smirked in response.

"I know."

My mouth practically fell open.

"What? Were you awake?" I asked. Mason nodded in return.

"I really wish you'd have waited to fall off the couch... The conversation was just getting interesting," he teased. I whacked his arm.

"You... you butt nugget!" I exclaimed childishly. Mason's eyes widened in surprise and he burst out laughing.

"Butt nugget?" He repeated incredulously. "As in little shit?"

"You said it not me," I smirked with my hands up in the air as I walked into my room. I stuck my tongue out at him as I closed the door.

I headed over to my closet and switched last night's outfit for an oversized white sweater and dark ripped jeans. I quickly brushed my teeth and pulled my hair into a ponytail before grabbing my backpack.

Mason met me in the foyer as I was putting on my sneakers. We could hear Linda and Annalise whispering and giggling from the kitchen, but didn't have time to stop and listen. Mason and I gave each other knowing glances, but the moment he was ready we were out the door, leaving the gossiping pair to their morning tea.

***

Over the next week, I slowly realized that something shifted in our relationship since that incident at The Luna. It was like noticing the way that a breeze moved the trees together, slowly and then all at once.

We began to gravitate towards each other. We sat a little closer together at lunch, hands brushing subtly under the table, stolen glances between conversations. Mason was more protective of me and checked more often to see if I was okay. He waited for me after track practice and held my hand in the car.

It surprised me that I didn't mind it, and even liked it, even with all my fears and reservations. I still wished Mason would open up to me more, but I knew I had to be patient.

And I was okay with that.

***

The next Friday evening, Mason's father came home from a business trip. As we were all sitting down to eat dinner, the front door opened and in walked an older image of Mason – which I doubted he would like to hear.

There was an evident shift in the atmosphere the moment he stepped into the dining room. Annalise's face lit up like a candle, but Mason's expression darkened. It looked like he was torn between being happy that his dad was home, and angry that he was away for so long. Anger, however, seemed to be winning. Linda and John were gauging the situation while I held Mason's hand under the table and tried to soothe him in some way.

"Derek!" Annalise beamed standing up. She gave him an excited hug, and though I could tell he was happy to see her as well, he hugged her back with a little less enthusiasm.

"Hi Annalise," he said, patting her back. She stepped back and began bustling around the kitchen to make another place for her husband. He smiled politely at us. "Hello Mason, Linda, Jay..." His eyes landed on me, and for a brief moment, a softer smile set on his lips. "You must be Charlie. Nice to meet you."

I smiled. "You too."

Mason's grip tightened on my hand and I shifted a little towards him and squeezed back reassuringly. I caught the knowing look on Linda's face and I willed myself not to blush.

As Derek sat down in the seat next to his wife's, I had a feeling the tension in the atmosphere wouldn't easily dissolve through dinner. It was simply a matter of getting through it.

_______

Author's Note: YAY! A second chapter in the same month! I hope you enjoyed it! What do you think is going to happen next? Comment below! :)

Hopefully I will have another chapter up soon, but in the mean time, follow me on instagram @brittany.p.w between chapters xo