• 43: Bestie! •

It had begun snowing lightly outside, and everything was now covered in a blanket of white. It made me happy to have the white Christmas thing going on, as it made it feel more magical and festive.

I was walking outside with Mason over to Emery's house since I couldn't hop over the fence with my broken bones and tight dress. After dinner, it was the men's turn to be in the kitchen and help clean up while the women sipped wine and kept them company while they worked.

Left on our own, Mason and I had gone into the living room.

"So, what's Emery doing for Christmas?" Mason had asked as we sat on the couches. I gave him a pointed look, knowing exactly what he was getting at.

"She's with her family. Her extended family usually drives up from Seattle for the holidays," I'd explained. Mason nodded and gave me a small smile. "What?"

"Nothing," he replied. I gave him another look. "She's your best friend Charlie. She just wants to be there for you."

He didn't push the topic any further, but as we talked about other things, I realized he was right. Emery was my best friend and I probably shouldn't push her away too. After all, she is the only person that has always stuck by me and had my best interests in mind.

So, I dragged Mason outside with me to deliver her gift, like we did every year. I took as deep a breath as my broken ribs would allow, and rang the doorbell. I wasn't sure why I was so nervous but I noticed my hand shaking as I pulled it away from the button. I looked back at Mason who was waiting on the sidewalk. He gave me an encouraging smile which seemed to calm me immediately. I smiled back and turned around in time to see the front door swing open.

Emery stood there, her brown eyes widening as she tucked her hair behind her ear. She stepped outside and pulled the door shut behind her.

"You came!" she exclaimed, her voice coloured in surprise and another more subtle emotion I couldn't quite read.

"Of course I did; it's Christmas," I replied with a small smile.

"What happened to your arm?" Emery asked.

"I kind of got hit by a car," I stated. Her jaw dropped, making me chuckle. "It's a long story, but I'll tell you another time." I took another breath and added, "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for the way I acted."

Emery gave me a small smile, a tired smile. "Look, I know you have a lot going on, but it makes me crazy that you won't tell me anything."

"What do you mean? I do tell you stuff. You know what's going on!" I protested quietly. Her eyes narrowed at that.

"You tell me what happens, but I never know how you're feeling or what I can do to make it better!" She huffed. "You're my best friend, Charlie. I know your name is Charlotte but you won't let anyone call you that and I don't even know why. I know that your mom came back, but I don't know how that makes you feel. I know –"

"Okay! I get it... but you can't just force me to tell you, or act like I'm going to fall to pieces the moment something bad happens to me. I don't need people taking care of me, and I haven't for a while!" I explained.

I wasn't sure what was happening here. I wanted to make up and go back to how things were, not fight, but I also needed her to understand too.

"Well I think you need someone, anyone to just be there for you! I'm here, Mason's here and you keep pushing us away!" Emery snapped. I sighed.

"You're right. I'm sorry. I do it because it's easier, and if you just stick with me then I'll do it in my own time okay?" I asked hopefully. Emery smiled and I knew I was forgiven.

"I'm sorry too. I know it's not easy and I shouldn't have said what I did to Mason. I was just worried," she said as she pulled me in for a hug. I hugged her back and when I let go, I pulled her present out of my pocket and pushed it towards her.

"Bestie!" Emery exclaimed, feigning surprise as she took it from my hands. "Mason, get over here! I see you and have something for you!" she called. As Mason walked over, Emery ran inside for a moment. When she came back, she handed me a small box and Mason a bag.

"Thank you," Mason smiled and took it from her.

"On three we open," Emery and I said, just like we did every year. After our count, we opened our gifts and I sucked in a breath at the bracelet in front of me.

It had my favourite lyrics written across it; "face the music", from the Marianas Trench song Ever After. It meant the world to me. I threw my arms around her just as she began to throw her arms around me. My present for her was a necklace I saw her eyeing when she dragged me to the mall one time. Mason joined in on the group hug once he saw the nice shirt that Emery had picked out for him.

I was glad that we fixed this. It felt like things would be okay, even if just for a little while.

_____

Author's Note: She's not long but she's a cute chapter okay?! I'm sorry I've been M.I.A, it's been a busy few weeks!! 

Who's glad they made up? Also who's already in the Christmas spirit despite it only being mid-November? HAHA 

Hopefully the next chapter is up soon for you! Xoxo!