• 13: Sleepover •

A week and a half later, I was in math class next to Emery. Mr. Fenby had just assigned some practice questions after his lesson, but it was a little hard to focus because Emery kept passing me notes. She was asking about having a sleepover tomorrow at my house – correction: at Mason's house.

Please Charlie? We haven't hung out in like 2 weeks – E

I'll ask Mason's mom later and text you okay? Now you better start your work or you're going to get busted – C

I heard Emery let out a sigh in response beside me. The bell then rang, which made her smirk in satisfaction of not having to do any work. I rolled my eyes at her but chuckled anyway. I packed up my things and said goodbye, though I'd see her at lunch anyway.

As I walked out the door I saw Mason waiting for me and I gave him a tiny smile. Things have shifted since that night. I wasn't pushing him away as much as my brain told me to. There were things I still hadn't told him, but then again there were still things he needed to tell me.

He smiled back. "I'll wait for you after school again."

"You don't have to do that," I said. "I can walk."

"Oh, I see you want more time with the boy you're tutoring," Mason teased.

"Yeah right!" I laughed. "I can't stand him."

"Wait, who are you tutoring?" he asked with a small smile on his face.

"Dallas Mitchell," I said, wrinkling my nose. Mason's eyes darkened while his skin paled slightly.

"I hate that guy," he muttered, clenching his fists together tightly. I opened my mouth to ask why, but the warning bell rang, cutting me off. "I'll see you later," Mason said before walking away and leaving me with my confusion. I knew Dallas was a jerk, but even I didn't quite hate him... I wondered what the reason was as I walked to my next class.

***

Tutoring went the same as it always did, with a semi-focused Dallas and a semi-frustrated me, but it was over fairly quickly. I walked out of the library to see Mason pacing around outside. His head snapped towards me as he heard the door open, and immediately a small smile spread across his lips.

"Hey," I said quietly.

"Hey," he replied. "You ready?"

"Almost. I have to put these away," I said., holding up my hefty science book.

As we walked towards my locker, I thought about how nervous Mason looked and wondered what his problem could be with Dallas.

I opened up my locker and took a glance at Mason before putting my unneeded books away. He was spaced out and I wondered what was affecting him so much. I closed my locker door and turned to him.

"Why do you hate him?" I asked bluntly.

"He's a bad guy Charlie. Don't trust him."

It was all Mason said before walking down the hallway, leaving me standing there. I stared after him in surprise for a moment before following him quickly. I knew that conversation was over for now.

***

Emery and I sat on the floor listening to the latest Paramore album on Friday night. Emery had managed to rope me into painting her nails for her before her date tomorrow night.

"We're going to dinner and then a movie, so please make sure they're perfect!" Emery had begged before I started. I rolled my eyes, but picked up the baby pink nail polish anyway. She and Adam were in that honeymoon phase and I would let her have her moment.