• 45: New Years Eve (part 1)•

There were mostly adults at the party, but I was introduced to a group of teens around my age. Lorraine knew a couple people her age from previous parties her parents had taken her to and most of them had younger siblings for me to hang out with.

I was first introduced to a girl named Lacey who was wearing a tight red dress and thigh high boots. Her hair was pin straight and she looked confident and beautiful. There was also a dark haired guy named Andre with a cartilage piercing. I had a feeling that they had a crush on each other but neither of them had let on. I was also introduced to a girl named Zoe. She was wearing a low cut silver dress and had big curly hair. There were a couple other high schoolers there, but once I seemed okay with the trio, Lorraine disappeared with her university-aged friends.

Music was pumping throughout the house and dinner was served buffet style, so people could just eat as they pleased. Lacey, Andre and Zoe and I were hanging out in the finished basement with the other teens who were down there in scattered groups. Zoe grabbed a few wine coolers out of a mini fridge and passed them to Lacey and Andre. She handed one to me.

"Do you drink?" She asked.

"No, I'm not 19 yet," I replied, making everyone laugh.

"We aren't either!" Zoe laughed. "No one will care." She passed the drink over to me and pulled another one out for herself.

"To a new year!" Lacey cheered, raising her beverage. The rest of us repeated it in unison and raised our drinks before drinking some.

I quickly discovered that alcohol didn't have the nicest taste. The liquid had a fruity taste blended with something that tasted like how nail polish remover smells. However, I didn't want to be rude, and for once, I didn't want to be the loser. So, I kept drinking.

"Anyone want to play a game?" Andre asked. We were all compliant, so Andre continued, "Never Have I Ever? Or B.S?"

"Either one requires shots, and that my friend is in the cabinet!" Zoe grinned. I felt like whenever she had an idea, no good would be the result of it. Shots? Probably not a good result.

"Oh, I'm down!" Lacey cheered. Easily Zoe's enabler.

I shrugged. Why not?

We started with B.S. after finding a deck of cards. It was a game people usually played when they were really bored. Putting cards face down in a pile calling out the numerical order and hoping no one realizes whether you lied or not wasn't very exciting... hence why there were shots involved.

"Three Jacks..." I said, putting three cards on the pile. A guy named Max that joined our game two rounds in, eyed me.

"I call bullshit," he said.

"I think you just wanted to say it," I shot back. I flipped over the cards revealing three Jacks and smiled. He sighed, taking the pile of cards and then a shot.

It was a little unfair how good I was at hiding the truth. They didn't stand much of a chance in this game.

After the fourth round, Lacey rolled over, in a giggle fit. "Charlie! How come you never even get called?" She asked, pointing a finger at me.

"Because I'm a perfect angel who never lies," I replied with a wink. All of those were lies but it makes her laugh. Other than the first drink, I hadn't had anything else.

"You know what? Let's play Never Have I Ever," Zoe decided. See? Bad news.

"Drink if you ever!" Lacey yelled. Well, at least she explained it...

"Okay, I'll go first," Zoe started. "Never have I ever broken a bone."

"Wow, that felt targeted," I teased as I raised my shot glass to my lips. The strong smell reached my nose, and I hid the cringe and let out a breath before doing what I'd seen people do in movies. I knocked back the drink and swallowed it as fast as I could. It burned my throat and began to make my stomach feel warm and fuzzy.

Andre also took a shot. "I'll go next... Never have I ever tried to cut my own hair."

Zoe and Lacey sighed and took shots.

Then it was my turn. I smile mischievously, because the tiny amount of liquid courage in my tummy made me feel like playing matchmaker. If I couldn't fix my own problems, at least I could try to make someone else happy... hopefully.

"Never have I ever played Never Have I Ever with a person I have a crush on," I said.

Zoe bursts into laughter and looks at me. "Charlie, I never thought you could be a savage!" Andre and Lacey look at each other and each take a shot.

In truth, I was surprised at myself. It was probably the alcohol that was getting to me.

Author's Note: Hey friends! Hope you enjoyed this chapter so far!

 Charlie drinking? *gasp!* What do you think will happen next? Do we like these new friends? Comment your thoughts! 

Part 2 coming next  week, so stay tuned!