• 42: Mistletoe •

Leaving the hospital was like a breath of fresh air. I was relieved to not have to be hooked up to monitors and IVs any longer, and be well enough to go home. I was excited when Linda and Jay told me they invited the Grey family over to celebrate Christmas with us, though I tried to play it cool. Lorraine, however, didn't try to hide her excitement as she teased me nonstop all morning about my new boyfriend. While it was old news to everyone, she'd be a little out of the loop staying with her friend. Nonetheless, she decided that despite the bright white cast on my arm, she was going to make sure I was thoroughly beautified for Christmas.

For once, I only protested a little, as secretly I missed this, and I wanted to look pretty when Mason showed up.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. I was wearing a satin baby blue, slip dress, which had spaghetti straps since I wasn't able to wear something with tight sleeves over this cast. Lorraine had straightened my hair and made sure to turn off the iron this time. She put a little make up on me, though I made her promise me not to go crazy, and when she was done, I felt like a different person.

I actually look pretty, I thought as I tucked a loose strand behind my ear.

I knew once Lorraine pulled on her tight, red dress and did her make up, she'd definitely be stunning, but I knew that I wouldn't feel utterly plain standing next to her this time.

The doorbell rang and my heart rate immediately picked up.

He was here.

I smoothed down my dress and walked, as casually as I could towards the stairs.

Annalise and Derek stood next to him and they had small smiles on their faces as they greeted Linda who'd opened the door.

"Hello! Merry Christmas!" Linda chirped. "Come in! Come in!"

"Merry Christmas!" Annalise squealed and she hugged her best friend.

"Merry Christmas!" echoed around the foyer as Jay took everyone's coats.

As I walked down the stairs, my breath caught in my throat when I saw Mason. He was in a pair of black pants; with a dark green dress shirt that made his forest green eyes look deeper and greener, which I didn't think was even possible.

I stupidly felt like a fan girl because the way my heart was pounding and my face heated up, I'd likely have melted into a puddle on the spot if it were physically possible.Annalise was wearing a loose navy blue dress, which brought out the darker tones in her bright blue eyes, and her brown hair was in an up-do. Derek's blonde hair was slicked back, and he is wearing all black with a navy blue tie to match Annalise's dress. Linda straightened her white dress before taking a tray from Derek's hands.

I greeted everyone with a wave and a 'hello' before Mason walked over to me and gently pulled me into his arms. I was all too aware of everyone's eyes on us, but made no effort to move.

"Hi," Mason whispered.

"Hi," I repeated, feeling a smile toying on the corners of my lips.

"Okay, enough with the googly eyes!" Linda teased. "Come sit!" I didn't miss the glint of happiness in her brown eyes. I stuck my tongue out at her childishly, making everyone laugh.

We then headed over to the living room, which had our Christmas tree in it, making the room smell like pine. It was decorated with white lights and red and gold ornaments. Mason and I sat down on the dark brown love-seat while Derek and Jay sat on the couch. Linda, Annalise, and Lorraine ran off to the kitchen to finish dinner.

In true Canadian manner, the two men immediately began discussing a hockey game I hadn't seen – or heard about until now, which left Mason and I to talk amongst ourselves. Mason was holding my hand, lightly tracing the back of it with his thumb.

"You look beautiful," Mason said with a smile. My cheeks heated in response.

"Thank you. You look handsome," I replied shyly. Handsome was an understatement but it seemed the most casual thing to say.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

"Alright; the painkillers are doing their thing," I said with a small laugh. Mason chuckled at that. "How about you?"

"Charlie, you're the one who got hit by a car," Mason said.

"Yes, but that night you had a lot going on too," I replied, trying to be subtle considering Jay and Derek were in the room.

Mason paused for a moment before answering. "I'm okay. Today feels better than I thought it would."

"I'm glad," I said softly, giving his hand a gentle squeeze.

We were quiet for a few moments, enjoying the calm of the room and the festive feeling.

"So, have you talked to Emery?" Mason suddenly asked. I wrinkled my nose, and shook my head in response. "Does she know you were in the hospital?"

"No, I haven't spoken to her since we fought at school," I told him quietly. It felt stupid and random to message her out of the blue all of a sudden because I was in an accident. Mason nodded.

"She's your best friend – don't push her away too Charlie," Mason whispered.

Before I could respond Linda called everyone for dinner. Mason helped me stand up as Jay and Derek jumped up quickly – I'd never seen either of them so excited in the time I've known them. They'd disappeared into the dining room before Mason and I managed to make it into the hallway.

"Mistletoe!" Lorraine suddenly hollered, as we walked through the kitchen room, towards the dining room, startling me in the process. I glanced up at the ceiling and noticed the green and red plant hanging from it. I scowled in response, feeling my face heat with embarrassment. Mason's cheeks had turned a little pink, but he smirked at me.

"There shall be no PDA of any –"

"You have to follow the rules," Linda suddenly said, cutting my sentence short. She was suddenly standing in the doorway between the kitchen and dining room. I glowered at her, feeling my face get hotter. Annalise's giggle accompanied hers and I noticed she was peeking out from behind Linda's shoulder.

"Rules are rules, Ginger," Mason whispered, leaning down. His hands were around my waist, and my good hand was on his chest. I faintly heard a chorus of 'oooohs' as his lips slowly touched mine. Tingles, starting at my lips and flutters in my heart, made their way across my body, and I pressed myself closer to him, for a moment forgetting that we had an audience. I heard a click go off and Mason and I pulled away.

"Aw, it was just getting good," I heard Lorraine say. I turned around and glared at her.

"If it wasn't Christmas, I'd beat you with my cast," I glowered. Lorraine tossed her head back and let out a laugh.

"You'll thank me later!" She sang. I rolled my eyes.

"Okay! Okay! Enough with the Hallmark Movie! Can we eat already?" Jay called from the dining room, making everyone chuckle. Jay was always secretly really impatient when it came to food and I found it to be really funny. We headed over to the dining table and sat down, ready to enjoy our Christmas meal.

Author's Note: Yay! The holidays and broken arms bring everyone together lol! Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Working on having more out soon! 

Charlie's Dress: