• 49: Speculation •

The rest of the day was quiet, though I was itching to tell Emery the new information I found out. I definitely needed her to help me make sense of it all. So, instead of going home after school, we decided to go to a coffee shop and talk.

I grabbed myself a hot caramel macchiato, while Emery got a mocha latte. We sat down at a table by the window, giving us a rainy view of the park across the street. Emery took a photo of her drink for Instagram, before sipping it, which made me smile. She always loved capturing the aesthetic of little details.

"So, what's up?" She asked casually.

"Well, I don't think I've mentioned it before, but I had this feeling that something had happened between Kayla and Mason," I began. Emery's eyebrows rose in response.

"Now that you mention it, that makes a lot of sense!" she mused. "Go on."

"That was initially just speculation from the looks she'd give him. But today, I overheard this conversation between her and Tiffany..." I relayed the rest to her and watched as her facial expressions danced from surprised, appalled, amused and then to worried. The last one was because I told her Tiffany was planning some big revenge for me.

"Well, whatever it is, we have to be ready," Emery stated. I nodded in agreement before taking a sip of my coffee.

"I wonder why Mason didn't tell me," I mumbled.

"Maybe, he didn't think it was a big deal?" Emery offered.

"Clearly... but Kayla does," I sighed.

"Yeah, enough to try to stand up to Tiffany even when you're not there," Emery mused. Suddenly, her eyes flickered past me and her lips pressed into a firm line.

"What?" I asked, watching her carefully.

"Don't look now, but Dallas is on his way over here," Emery warned me. I sighed and waited for him to approach us. 

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that for me, coffee shops and cafes seemed to be the place of confrontation and disorder, rather than peaceful catching up time.

"Hello ladies," Dallas said coolly. I did not raise my eyes so much as spare him a glance.

"So, as I was saying, I think the simplicity of the vanilla latte makes it so much better than the dirty chai latte," I told Emery, as if Dallas wasn't there.

Emery picked up on my cue and continued the conversation. "Oh, I beg to differ Char, the chai just gives it a little something else, while the vanilla latte, though delicious, makes me feel as if more could be–"

"You possibly can't be ignoring me!" Dallas exclaimed.

"The mocha latte however, is my favourite –" Emery continued, before Dallas slammed his hand on the table and interrupted her.

"Dammit Dallas, what the hell do you want?" I yelled. While I was very aware of the people in the shop watching us, I also really didn't care. If he wanted to do this right now, then it would be done. I was done with him.

"I wanted to tell you something. No – not wanted to – I need to. I need to tell you something," Dallas said urgently. I rolled my eyes at him.

"I don't want to hear anything you have to say," I interjected stubbornly.

Dallas looked me hard in the eyes and spoke anyway. "But you need to know that I really like you Charlie."

Well damn...

______

Author's Note: WHOA. Dallas' confession?! How do you think Charlie will react? Comment your predictions and vote if you liked this chapter! <3

New chapter coming next week, so keep an eye out! <3