• 18: Promise •

"Hey, don't I know you?" I heard. The familiar voice made my hair stand on end.

"N-no," I said without turning around. I mentally kicked myself for stuttering, but remained still, unsure what to do with his hand around my arm. He spun me around to face him and I noticed his steely blue eyes with dark circles under them.

"Yeah," he started, revealing his yellowing teeth. I tried to look a little more intimidating by fixing him a glare. "You're that cute little one from the alley a couple years ago! You found yourself a home!" I tried to step away from him but he snaked his arm around my waist.

"You're all grown up now cutie..." he added, leaning towards me. My eyes darted frantically scanning the room for Mason. He was nowhere to be found, and my heart was racing.

"Let go of me," I snapped, attempting to back away from him. His grip tightened on me.

"Fiesty. I like that," he said with a chuckle. I stomped on his foot, making him yelp and loosen his grasp. I broke away from his hold and then dashed towards the front. Just before reaching the exit, my arm was grabbed and I was yanked back into a body.

"Not so fast little Red," The guy whispers in my ear. I gave him a shove and he grabbed both my hands with one of his then leaned in close to me and like he was about to kiss my neck. I froze for a moment, as his chapped lips made connection with my skin, before struggling to break free as they inched towards my chin.

In the blink of an eye, he was no longer gripping me tightly and was on the ground with Mason, who had just football tackled him, on top of him. Mason got up swiftly and gave the man a hard kick in the leg so he wouldn't get up. A few people turned to look at the commotion and Mason quickly reached for my hand pulling me towards the doors of The Luna.

The cold night air hit my skin as we stepped outside. The car was parked in front of the entrance, and Mason opened my door for me before going around to the driver's seat. As I sat in the car, the adrenaline was wearing off and I could feel my heart pounding. My hands shook as I tried to buckle my seatbelt and I felt like crying.

"Are you okay?" Mason asked as he turned the car on. I nodded but didn't speak to him otherwise. I was torn between being grateful for him and really furious at him. The ride home was silent and the tension in the air was thick as I tried to slow my breathing to a normal pace while Mason drove.

When we did get home, I immediately raced up to my room. The house was empty, and I was thankful I wouldn't be bombarded with questions about the night. I changed into a pair of navy blue joggers and a white long sleeved shirt before there was a knock on the bedroom door. I bit back a sigh and opened it to see Mason standing in the doorway.

"What?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest.

"Why are you angry with me Charlie?" he asked. I opened my mouth to deny it and he cut me off. "I can tell that you are, so don't bother lying," he added, stepping forward. I frowned and stared past him before leaving my room and storming down the stairs. "Charlie!" he called after me.

I stomped into the kitchen and when I heard him behind me, I went into the living room. I grabbed the remote off the side table and was about to turn on the television when Mason stepped in front of me blocking the signal.

"Move," I said flatly.

"Not until you talk to me," he responded. I glared at him for a moment before trying to side step around him. He grabbed my wrist so I couldn't go anywhere and I flinched at the sudden contact which brought me back to the earlier incident. Mason noticed and a look of hurt flashed across his face briefly. "I wouldn't hurt you Charlie."

"You left," I stated, ignoring what he had just said.

"What?" he asked quietly.

"You left! Now let go!" I said louder, trying to loosen his grip with my free hand. Instead he gently grabbed that hand as well.

"Not until you explain what's going on!" he said

"You left me Mason! How could you?" My voice raised with every sentence. "You weren't there! It could have been worse! What if you didn't come back in time?" I tried pulling away again, or maybe I was pushing him. I was so agitated I wasn't sure. "You left! You shouldn't have left me! How could you?" I repeated, my voice getting softer.

Mason pulled me towards him gently and let go of my arms. The moment my head touched his chest, tears I hadn't realized were welled up in my eyes started to fall.

"You left," I whispered. He wrapped his arms around my body and it scared me how much more relaxed I felt in his embrace.

"I'm so sorry Charlie. I'm so sorry," he said softly. He slowly sat us down on the couch and held me as I cried. After I had stopped trembling, he spoke again. "I thought you were right behind me, and when I turned to see you weren't with me at the car, I figured it was better to pull it up front and come find you," he explained. "I won't leave you again Charlie, I'm so sorry."

"Do you promise?" I asked quietly, moving back a little to look at his face. A huge part of me was terrified to ask, and an even bigger part was terrified that I was asking. It seemed that I was drawn to Mason, like a moth to a flame, despite a little voice in my head screaming at me not to go there.

"Cross my heart," he vowed, his deep green eyes holding my gaze.

Despite my mind, I was already there. Between the sincerity on his face and something in my heart, I felt myself believing him.

_______________

Author's Note: Y'all I am so sorry it took me 4 months to finish this chapter! The writer's block was real and it was so busy!! I even managed a Europe trip in between LOL! I am hoping to post more frequently on this story though!

I hope you liked this chapter! Let know in the comments what you think will happen next!

Also follow me on Instagram @brittany.p.w for more on my European travels🤩