• 27: Safe •

After my trip to the hospital, I lied on the couch, feeling groggy and bored. Luckily I didn't need stitches, but I did have a mild concussion, so I was out of school for the rest of the week. Missing three days wasn't that bad but the idea of minimal reading or television, and not too much guitar was the drag.

It was a bit past noon when I was listening to Marianas Trench's first album Fix Me, for the second time today. My cell phone rang, making me wince slightly at the piercing noise. I picked it up without checking the I.D.

"Hello?" I answered quietly.

"Oh my gosh Charlie! Are you okay?" Emery asked. The background sounded noisy and I guessed she was at lunch. "Oh! You're on speaker by the way!"

"Oh, hey everyone," I said. I heard a chorus of 'hellos' which made me smile.

"So what's the verdict? Are you dying?" Tristan asked teasingly. I heard a slap followed by a small yelp.

"You can't go around asking people if they're dying," Talia laughed. I chuckled lightly at that. "But really, what happened?"

"I fell down the stairs this morning and banged my head," I explained. "I have a minor concussion, but I should see all you losers on Monday," I joked. I heard everyone laughing at the table.

"Well, as long as you're not dead!" Phoebe added, trying to continue Tristan's joke. Everyone laughed lightly at that before Emery spoke up again.

"I'll call you later, but feel better! We just wanted to put poor Mason's mind at ease," she laughed. I could hear him trying to shut her up in the background. "He won't stop worrying about you!" My cheeks felt hot and I was glad no one could see me.

"Leave him alone!" I giggled.

Emery laughed. "How cute!"

"Shut up!" Both Mason and I said at the same time.

"Bye everyone!" I added.

"Bye Charlie!" They chorused back. I smiled and hung up the phone.

***

Dinner was quiet.

I was tired, and things felt off between Mason and I. The parents said a few things here and there, but didn't want to be too loud so it was all a little awkward.

I finished up the chicken on my plate before standing up quickly. I got a little light headed and stumbled. Mason reached out immediately to steady me and I gave him a smile in response. He let go when I was stable and went back to eating. The adults glanced at me with worry but I continued to the sink.

"You don't have to wash anything Charlie, I'll do it," Annalise said. I suppressed a sigh. I felt bad having everyone baby me.

"Oh okay! Thank you," I said softly. I put the plate in the sink and walked out of the kitchen. I took the stairs slowly and went to my room to get ready for bed.

After taking a shower and putting on an oversized t-shirt and pajamas pants. I took my hair out of the bun I'd put it in so it didn't get wet in the shower and crawled into my bed.

I plugged my iPod into the dock and listened to Paramore's Brick by Boring Brick. I set the volume to low and lied down on my side. I laid quietly for a while before pausing the music and getting up.

I slowly walked over to my door and opened it. My heart beat faster as I walked down the hallway. I stopped at a door and prepared myself to knock. I took a deep breath and raised my hand, counting down in my head.

3... 2... 1... My hand softly rapped on the wood.

"Come in," Mason called. I opened the door and stepped into the room hesitantly. Mason, who was sitting on his bed, looked surprised to see me.

"Hi," I said, rocking back on my heels. I bit my lip nervously.

"Hey," He replied. Mason patted the bed beside him and I walked over, glancing around his room. It was beautiful. His walls were painted black, but they were covered in drawings and paintings that, I assumed, he did. I saw landscapes, flowers, sports and a few self portraits of himself and a girl who resembled him – his sister.

"You're so talented," I mumbled. "These are amazing."

"Thanks," he replied quietly. I sucked in a breath and held it for a moment before I turned to face him.

"Okay..."

"We gotta talk about what happened earlier," Mason finished my sentence. I nodded slowly, feeling the pressure in my head as I moved it.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to –"

"You were scared... why?" Mason asked. I opened my mouth and shut it without words being able to make their way out. It was like any thought I wanted to say seemed to die in my throat.

"I..."

"I don't understand," he said. "What could I possibly have done to make you afraid?" His voice rose a little with each word and my head pounded a little. "Why can't you see that I would never hurt you? I'm not Dallas, or one of those creeps from the street!"

I winced as he spoke loudly, but my voice matched his.

"You're right Mason! You're not Dallas or those guys! And do you know why that scares me? Because the damage you can do will hurt far more than what they can!" My voice quieted down significantly. "I care so much about you that it feels like I can't breathe sometimes. I want to reach out so badly and kiss you, but I'm so terrified that once I do, you could leave me in a heartbeat."

Mason took my face gently in his hands. "Didn't I promise you something?" he paused seeing the confusion on my face. "I won't leave you Charlie. I couldn't if I tried." I nodded slightly at that. "So you wanted to reach out and kiss me?"

"Shut up," I breathed, making Mason chuckled lightly as he leaned in.

Our lips touched and I felt myself immediately melt into him. One of Mason's hands left my face and found its way to my waist. Instinctively, I reach up and wrap my arms around his neck, pulling myself closer to him.

I felt his mouth part and his tongue traced my lower lip. I parted my lips, and Mason deepened the kiss. The hand on my cheek was now tangled in my hair, and my heart was beating wildly in my chest. It felt natural and as easy as breathing.

Despite all my fear, I felt safe here in Mason's arms. 

_________

Author's Note: 27 chapters in and FINALLY!! A KISS!!! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! I had a lot of fun writing it!! Hopefully I'll keep up this writing streak and have another for you shortly. Don't forget to comment and vote if you liked it!