• 12: Nightmare •

Thursday eventually rolled around and all week I'd been avoiding Mason – or at least doing my best, considering I slept down the hall from him. I felt guilty about it, but I couldn't allow myself to get closer to him. So every time he'd try to initiate a conversation, I pushed aside my guilt and stopped it from getting anywhere early.

I sighed and slammed my locker shut after school before walking towards the library. I pushed the library doors open and to see Dallas already seated at a table. I smirked and set my books down.

"Wow, are we actually ready to learn today?" I asked sarcastically.

"No, but I had nothing better to do," Dallas responded. I rolled my eyes and sat down across from him.

"Okay, well let's start then."

We flipped open our books and began working away... or at least I did. Dallas was focused for the first fifteen minutes, but by another thirty minutes in, he was cracking jokes and making careless mistakes..

"No, Dallas! That's not the right formula to figure that out," I repeated for what felt like the hundredth time. "Are you even paying attention? If you aren't, I can go home right now!" I wasn't even sure why I was wasting my time with him. I was pretty sure he wasn't learning, and I was just getting frustrated and annoyed.

"Shhh for a minute," he replied, holding up a finger.

"What?" I snapped. Dallas' blue-green eyes lit up in amusement.

"I like it when you're feisty... you're like a little tiger," he said with a smirk. "It's sexy."

"Oooh-kay. We are so done here!" I replied standing up and gathering my things. "I'll see you next week... maybe," I added. Dallas leaned back in his chair and watched me with a mischievous look on his face. I slung my backpack over my shoulder and started walking towards the door, hiding the discomfort I felt with a scowl.

"Don't be a spoiled sport," Dallas said, grabbing my wrist suddenly. I froze for a second before I swallowed the panic and yanked my wrist out from his grip. I gave him a final glare before storming out of the library.

I headed straight towards my locker, fuming, only to see Mason leaning next to it. While I was mostly frustrated to see him, a part of me was relieved he was there, in case Dallas was behind me.

"Hey," he said with a cautious smile.

"I thought you left already," I replied. Mason's features slipped into a slight frown, making the guilt rise in my chest. I swallowed it; it was better this way.

"I told my mom I'd drive you home," he said. I nodded, avoiding eye contact as I opened my locker.

"Thanks," I said as I switched out my books.

***

I opened my eyes to see that I was almost completely engulfed by darkness. The only light was the hazy glow of a gas station cutting through the fog. I looked around in confusion, and wondered how I got here.

I noticed a man standing beside a gas pump and a familiar car. Walking closer, I realized he had brown skin, and dark curls. My father.

Suddenly, everything came flooding back to me.

This day.

This gas station.

I knew we needed to leave and it had to be now.

I ran towards him, but it seemed to take much longer than I expected. My lungs were working overtime as my legs propelled me forward. By the time I reached my dad, a shadow had crept behind him. A large looming shadow, that seemed darker than the unknown surrounding the gas station.