• 5: Alarm Bell •

Charlie

"You're late!" Emery stated as she opened her back door. Her hair was up in a messy bun, and she was wearing leggings and an oversized sweater, but she made it look like couture fashion.

"Sorry. Dallas came a half hour late and then I got held up talking to someone in the hallway," I replied, pulling my shoes off.

"He came a half hour late?" Emery echoed. We walked through her kitchen to the front foyer and up the stairs. "How inconsiderate."

"Yeah. He's so annoying," I grumbled as we entered her room.

"I'm sure you gave him a lecture though," Emery said knowingly. I grinned at that.

"Of course, I did! Not that it really did anything though," I sighed, sitting down on her bed. Emery smirked and closed the door.

"So..." she started. "Who were you talking to?" The expression on her face told me she already knew it was a boy.

"Mason." It came out as a mumble, but I watched her eyes light up and her mouth fall open in shock. "What?" I asked, shifting uncomfortably.

"As in Grey? Mason Grey!" Emery yelped. She rushed over to me and sat down on the bed. "Oh my God! Charlie! He's beyond gorgeous! What happened? Details! I'm begging you!"

"Em, it's not like we made out in the hallway," I said.

"Imagine you did," she teased, with a starry look in her eyes. I gave her a playful shove.

"I bumped into him and fell as I was storming away from Dallas. He helped me up and we talked for a moment before I told him I had to go."

"Oh, come on! Those are not details," Emery pouted.

"Um, he has really pretty eyes..." I said throwing her a bone.

"Really? I've never been close enough to see them," Emery smiled.

"They're really this really pretty deep green colour," I explained, thinking about them.

"Ooh, someone looks a little smitten," Emery teased.

"I will hit you," I warned, making her laugh. "Anyways, enough about me! Where's Adam taking you on Friday?"

That was an easy excuse for Emery to launch into the details of their upcoming skating date. I liked seeing Emery light up when she talked about Adam and it was fun to be able to help her choose a cute outfit for her date. I was happy to listen and happier to have the attention taken off of me.

***

The next morning, I was already awake when Lorraine entered my room. I managed to get about three hours of sleep the entire night, and watched the black sky turn grey with the morning light. I sat up and frowned as I noticed the flat iron in her hand.

"What did I do to deserve this punishment so early in the morning?" I whined, making Lorraine laugh.

"I'm straightening your hair," she explained. "Emery's orders!"

"Ugh, does she think that pin-straight hair will have boys falling at my feet?" I grumbled, knowing this was sparking by my brief conversation with Mason Grey. I knew it was also a losing battle, so I got out of bed. "Can I at least wear whatever I want?"

"With my approval," Lorraine smirked. I narrowed my eyes at that and made my way over to the closet. I grabbed a pair of black, high-waisted skinny jeans and the tight, blue crop top that Emery made me buy.

"Will this do?" I asked.

"I think Emery would approve!"

"Great, well, I'm also wearing my leather jacket to piss her off," I smirked. "And my combat boots."