• 41: Hospital •

I woke up to a blinding white light and my head pounding. Like a scene ripped out of a Hollywood movie, I reached up to touch my forehead and felt the tug of a needle on my hand. Slowly, I touched my face, realizing there was a tube in my nose as well. The needle I could handle, but all the tubes were freaking me out. I took a deep breath to steady myself but felt a stabbing pain in my chest. I whimpered softly at the sudden pain and felt movement beside me.

"Charlie?" I heard Mason's voice and noticed he was beside an arm with a cast on it. My arm. Did I break it?  "Charlie! Oh God! You're okay."

"What... happened?" I asked quietly. My voice sounded strangled and my chest hurt as I shifted.

"Easy," Mason cautioned. He looked exhausted and sad, but I could see a hint of relief on his face now that I was awake. "You broke three ribs and your arm. You needed stitches on that elbow as well. The doctors think you might also have another concussion but were waiting to know more once you woke up."

"It feels like another concussion," I mumbled. "Actually it feels like I was hit by a train," I tried to joke; despite the shortness of breath I was experiencing.

Mason gave me half a smile, showing me his dimples, which made my heart flutter in my chest. "Close Ginger, you were hit by a car."

"Impressive." I raised my eyebrows in surprise. Mason rolled his eyes and kissed my forehead.

"Only you would be trying to make me feel better, when you almost died," Mason sighed.

"The same could be said... for you," I whispered. I carefully reached up and brushed his hair back with my hand. "I'm so sorry abou–"

"Shh, it's okay. We'll talk about it all later. I promise everything will be okay," Mason whispered. I nodded slowly. "I'll go let everyone know you're awake."

He kissed my nose before standing up straight. I closed my eyes as he walked out of the room, hating the bright lights.

I just got over my concussion too, I sighed to myself.

Linda and Jay were the first to enter the room a few minutes later. They both looked extremely worried but relieved as well.

"My poor darling!" Linda exclaimed and she ran over to me and hugged me softly, careful not to touch my ribs. "How are you feeling? I'm going to spoil you until you are better!" She added.

"Then you're grounded for leaving the house after 3am without telling us!" Jay said, ruffling my hair.

"I'm so sorry!" I said sheepishly.

"We're just glad that you're okay," Linda said, half chiding Jay.

Lorraine came bursting through the door and breathed an audible sigh of relief when she saw me. "Charlie Ross, I don't care if your last name isn't Wilson, you are still my sister and I swear that if you almost die again, I'm going to kill you!" she threatened, making everyone chuckle. I could see her eyes clouded with sadness and felt a twinge of guilt.

Soon Annalise and Mason walked into the room and I was surprised when I saw Derek filing in behind them. Derek smiled at me, but let Annalise do all the talking.

"How are you feeling?" Annalise asked immediately. "I'm so sorry Charlie!" she added. There were dark circles under her eyes and I could tell she felt guilty for sending me out so late at night.

"I'm okay, really! Don't worry!" I assured her. "Must be the drugs." Everyone laughed and the atmosphere was a little more relaxed. It wasn't extremely tense before, but I had a feeling Linda wasn't too happy that I went out looking for Mason, as per Annalise's request.