• 25: 5-Star Experience •

Explaining what happened to Emery wasn't easy, and though I felt myself starting to hyperventilate, I tried not to let it show and to keep calm enough to get through it. It was an awful situation to be in, but I was glad it was over with. My view of Dallas shifted completely and I wasn't comfortable being his tutor or in the same vicinity as him.

"What a creep!" Emery gasped. "High, or not."

"It - it was scary. I'm so lucky Mason was there," I concluded. A faint smile rose on Emery's lips as I added that last part. Smoothly, she transitioned into a new topic.

"Speaking of Mason... how's that going?"

"He took me to the top of a cliff – which was beautiful – and we talked things out," I replied.

"He seems more protective of you," Emery mused. "I think you'd be good for each other." I nodded slowly and tried not to get my hopes up with that thought. I just hoped I was good enough.

***

That night, as I drifted in and out of sleep, I heard a light knock on my door. I was groggy and confused for a moment before realizing it was likely Mason. I jumped up and opened my door to see him standing in the doorway biting his lip nervously.

"What's wrong?" I asked in a hushed voice.

"Can... can you stay up and talk with me?" he asked in response. I nodded and pulled him inside my room, then closed the door. I turned on my bedside lamp and crawled into bed. Mason hesitated by the door but I motioned for him to come next to me.

He walked over slowly and sat down on the bed. He gave me a look, almost double checking if it was okay. I smiled reassuringly as I crossed my legs.

"I-I couldn't sleep," he said. "I had– I was tempted..." Mason ran a hand through his hair in frustration.

"It's okay; I'm glad you came," I said, gently taking his hand in mine.

"I didn't wake you, did I?" Mason asked timidly. I shook my head.

"I was half awake," I replied. He looked relieved. We were quiet for a moment before Mason spoke up.

"What happened today?" he asked. I sighed.

"I just... It was hard seeing Dallas," I winced as the name came out of my mouth.

Mason wrapped his arms around me comfortingly. Instantly, my heart rate sped up and I felt warmer. I rested my head on his shoulder.

"It'll get easier," Mason whispered. I shifted my head to look up at him.

"What were you thinking about before you came?" I asked quietly.

"Really dark things... awful things," he mumbled. His arms slightly tightened around me and I gave an understanding nod.

"Well, I'm really glad you came to me," I replied. "One day at a time." Mason's face brightened a little which made me smile.

"Do you want to watch TV?" he asked.

"Only if you make hot chocolate, and carry down the blanket," I bargained with a grin.

"The 5-star experience? Ambitious, aren't we?" Mason teased. I stuck my tongue out at him childishly before placing my fluffy blanket in his hand.

"I always reach for the stars," I replied, turning off the lamp. Mason chuckled at that and we headed downstairs. As we got into the living room, he put the blanket down on the couch and turned on the television. He set it on Netflix and turned the volume down before handing me the controller.