Chapter 5: Town Square Buskers

I lay on my bed while I flicked through a random magazine, with Loving You Is Easy by Union J playing on my iPod surround sound.

I see Mum walk into my phone holding out a phone and she glanced at me.

I quickly turn down the music, “Hi Mum.”

“Hello darling, phones for you.” She smiled.

I knew it would be Valerie.

“Hey Val.” I greeted, as Mum left my room.

“DELI! Okay so I have some good news and some bad news.” She quickly blurted out.

“Oh... w-what's the news?”

“Good news, I'm going to be moving out of home in a couple days.” She shrieked.

“That's great Valerie!” I cheered, “Do I even dare to ask what the bad news is?”

“Bad news uh... it's not London.”

“Where is it then? New York? Ooh Fiji?” I laughed.

“No, Australia.”

“Oh.” I replied.

“I really wanted to go to London with you. But my families all moving to Australia so it was already pre organised.” She groaned.

“Aw Valerie, you are always welcome to visit my new place. Maybe.” I giggled and sat back down on my bed.

“Ha. Ha. Very funny Delilah.” Valerie replied.

"What part of Australia are you moving to?” I asked.

“Sydney.”

“Oh Sydney! I love Sydney, you get great tans there!” I laughed, “Oh did you still remember that holiday we had there together when we were about 16?”

“YES. We got a hotel out looking that gorgeous beach. And we found out Ed Sheeran was in the room next to us!” Valerie screeched.

*~*~

“Teas ready!” My Mum called out as I jumped up off my bed.

“Hey I've got to be going Val. I'll ring you tomorrow.”

“All right, bye.” She replied, hanging up.

I then dashed down the stairs, walking through the kitchen to the dining room and I sat down at the table.

Looked like pizza was on the menu tonight.

"Hungry?” Mum asked and sat down.

“Yes.” I smiled as I reached for a piece.

“Did you know that Valerie was moving to Australia?” I asked.

“Yeah, I was talking to her Mum just earlier today about it.”

“London and Australia are so far apart.” I pouted.

“But you both can still have holidays at each others if you really wanted to.” She suggested, “When I was about your age, I left one of my best friends. And I still remember to this day it was hard.” Mum continued to explain the story I've heard like a billion times.

I didn't want to be rude to her, so I just made out I was listening, while I stuffed my face with pizza.

I laughed almost in relief as the story ended, “So, have you ever met Nadia?” I asked, quickly changing the subject before she remembered other stories to tell.

“I used to babysit her when she was younger and still lived with her Mum.”

“I have a feeling it'll be awkward, isn't she like older than me?” I asked.