Chapter 30: Eventful Summer

A/N: Hello everyone! GREATEST apologies due to my lack of updates. It's been over a month since the last one and I really am so sorry. I am going to try to continue with my weekly updates from now on, it should be easier now that I am back into the school work mindset. Over 120k reads, you guys are truly amazing. Please remember if you have any thoughts or ideas for the story, send me a message! I always write the chapters the day I post them so anything can happen. Thank you all for still being here

 “Serena, Carter and I, were gay.” He said as he brought his hand down from my arm.

My mouth gapped open and I finally understood everything. Carter had fancy friends with fancy lives and I guess being gay in that community isn’t what he wanted people to know, especially his father.

“Are you two… an item?” I asked.

“We could be, but it’s all very complicated right now. I know Carter is paying you for your, services.” He said with a weird emphasis on the word services.

“It must be awkward for you to see us, I’m sorry.” I said thinking of all the times Carter and I had been fake affectionate.

“It must be more awkward for you.” He said turning his neck and glimpsing at JC.

“It is… it really is. It’s hard dealing with it all but I just try to think of it as a job, a secret one.” I felt my eyes begin to water. I gently patted my eye with my ring finger, hoping it wouldn’t be noticeable.

“You better return to him, you and Carter should have a conversation though about where this is going to go. Enjoy your night Serena.” He said as he strode back to his table.

I grabbed a concealer stick from my clutch and touched up my under-eye area. I applied some lipgloss and headed back to my seat. I noticed JC was already munching on the garlic bread the waiter had brought, he looked adorable.

“Care to share?” I giggled as he shoveled another piece into his mouth.

“Oh, of course.” He said with food still in his mouth as he pushed the basket towards me.

After the garlic bread was consumed the main course was brought. JC had this Mediterranean pasta and I had this gorgeous salmon which reminded me of a restaurant back in New York. I reminisced back to that same restaurant when Jake had asked me to be his girlfriend a long time ago. He ordered the spaghetti and I had the fresh salmon, it was one of the best meals I had had, and it used to be one of my favourites nights of my life.

JC slurped his pasta down, bringing some of his goofiness into such a classy restaurant. I couldn’t help but laugh, it was a relief to just be silly with someone especially after a full day of being with Carter’s rich kid crew. When I was with them I wasn’t Serena the outrageous New Yorker, I was Serena the ex-manager at Prada and a vogue model look alike. I loved both of my lives and I had this almost ‘Hannah Montanna’ feeling.

As we finished up our last few bites the waiter brought us the dessert menu. The list was short but everything looked and sounded absolutely amazing.

“Chocolate soufflé?” JC asked while looking down at the menu.

“Oh but crème brûlée!” I squealed.

“We’ll get them both.” JC smiled up at the waiter.

 As we finished our deserts JC pulled a blue box from his jacket, I instantly recognised the Tiffany’s packaging. He opened the box to a beautiful silver heart tag pendant necklace. He got up and slinked it around my neck, bringing a smile to my lips. After he clasped the necklace he placed a soft kiss on my cheek.